Need to take radial off ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have a simple ring going round the attic with 4 double sockets, I would like to drop a supply down to an alarm, cut ring and use a junction box or try connecting into an existing socket ?

Sponsored Links
Yes, perfectly normal.

Put a Fused Connection Unit on the ring where you cut it and run a cable appropriately fused from the output/load terminals of the FCU to the alarm.

You can take one spur off a ring without fcu ?

and have 3A fuse by alarm

Some would say you can even use 1.5mm cable if it’s a direct route

Have a fcu at the alarm and just straight above it is the ring with a double socket wired in 2.5mm, I just wondered if it was okay to try the 3 cables on the socket or was okay to cut the ring. That was why I asked, thanks for all the help

Sponsored Links
You can get 3 x 2.5mm into a socket. Just make sure all three wires are secure in the socket as sometimes 1 of them doesn't seem to grip properly occasionally.

You can get 3 x 2.5mm into a socket. Just make sure all three wires are secure in the socket as sometimes 1 of them doesn't seem to grip properly occasionally.
So would you cut the ring or try adding to the socket

Add it to the socket. Less jointing makes for less possible loose connections. Make sure to give each wire a tug to ensure it is securely clamped.

You can take one spur off a ring without fcu ? ... and have 3A fuse by alarm
Indeed, and that's probably what most people would do (originating the spur at an existing socket).
Some would say you can even use 1.5mm cable if it’s a direct route
In virtually all cases that "some" should include anyone capable of reading and understanding BS7671 (rather than the 'informative' Appendix 15 thereof) - and (although I'm not totally sure what you mean), they wouldn't need to qualify it with "if it’s a direct route".

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back