Spur from Ring

One other item that may cause concern are hairdryers some of those can have a power of upwards of 2KW.

Sponsored Links
How much load does it take to blow a 13A 1362 fuse instantaneously?

I have seen hand dryers- 10A each, wired two per fused spur, in a public toilet at the Royal Armoury in Leeds. And they both work together without blowing the fuse!

From the information i could find BS1362 fuses have a fusing factor between 1.25 and 1.75, so a 13A BS1362 could potentially blow between 16.25A and 22.75A.

Good point, I'll put a big label on the hoover plug ... to remind them to unplug their heater while they hoover, alternatively there's a socket in the hall they could use.

Hair dryers ... 2kw ... thats quite a load, its a house of blokes at the moment - so no one has a hair dryer - but we do have girls every so often, again they'll have to unplug their heater or use the hall socket.

Umm, I agree the rating is an issue, but I'll see how I go ... its a toss up between holding someones hand to change a fuse when it blows occasionally or spending a mint having all the wiring rearranged to install radials to the consumer unit, and the disruption - carpets up, beds/wardrobes moved etc. Be a nightmare now the house is occupied ... why did energy costs have to go up so much !""!!
I'll report back in a month, let you know how many times I've had to change fuses - if they cant manage that one their own.
Its a 3 bed semi, roughly how much would a spark charge for wiring up radials from the consumer unit (under stairs), would be 5 rooms to wire up, 2 sockets in each room + Cardmeter (I would supply all cable (4mm cable, consumer unit, sockets etc.).
Just thinking, what would be better - an individual ring to each room or radial with 4mm cable.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back