FCU as a spur instead of Junction Box on a ring circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Instead of inserting a junction box, is it okay to hard wire a switched FCU directly into a ring circuit (2.5mm cable, 30amps cartridge fuse in CU). I want to spur, via a frost stat, to a double socket (with a 13amp fuse). I have two heaters in the roof protecting all my water pipes etc. I am assuming that the double-pole switch in the FCU will isolate both the neutral and live conductors from the supply terminals only, and not affect the two-way current in the ring circuit.

Sponsored Links
biblio said:
Instead of inserting a junction box, is it okay to hard wire a switched FCU directly into a ring circuit (2.5mm cable, 30amps cartridge fuse in CU).
It's more than OK, it is better.

I am assuming that the double-pole switch in the FCU will isolate both the neutral and live conductors from the supply terminals only, and not affect the two-way current in the ring circuit.
Correct.

It is by far the safest way available, to feed a spur socket - it may be a requirement in the 17th edition of BS7671 forthcoming.

Sponsored Links
Millennium_Boy said:
It is by far the safest way available, to feed a spur socket - it may be a requirement in the 17th edition of BS7671 forthcoming.
Forthcoming when? I (fairly recently) asked Paul Cook about this, and he said that no new version was imminent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back