5:1 Sand Cement under a stone resin tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I'm really stuck. I have built a lovely plinth for my 900mm tray to sit on with loads of support.
I now have to bed the tray on 5-10mm of 5:1 mix and can't work out how to do it. :cry:

Q1: How wet should the mix be?
Q2: The tray is so heavy, and it needs to go into the corner. How can I stop it from moving/crushing all the cement at the back, thus making the levels wrong?

I would really apreciate any tips on how I can get it right.

Many thanks,

Alex (the semi-self builder)(who is gradually getting there) :)

Sponsored Links
Is this tray from plumbworld? I read about the mix in the instructions for the one I was going to buy from there. Worth giving them a call maybe?

i use ready mix bags of sand and cement but just use half the cement,firm mix.
them heavy trays can be a back breaker.
this is how i do it.i get some 15mm copper pipe,2 sections.lay them over plinth/base,at equal distance.
apply the mix to your plinth and level off to height of pipes.
slide tray over pipes once in position pull out pipes one at the time,do this fairly quickly.
then level shower tray and LET it set overnight.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Bob,

Worked a treat. The level seemed perfect from the start, so I just stood in the tray and tip-toed around to make sure it was all pushed down.

Just need to seal round the walls with silicone, then the plasterers can come and do their stuff. :)

Alex.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back