5-core valve cable

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I am looking for some cable to go between a zone valve and the wiring centre, it is 5-core with Orange and White and so on (so that when the valve has been opened, it reports back and switches a different circuit to on)

It doesn't seem to be sold by places that sell electrical stuff, does it have a special name (other than 5-core cable :LOL: ) and can you get it by the metre? It looks like it might be heat-resistant.

Sponsored Links
I always buy mine in drums of 50M.

I just ask for 0.75 5 core heat resistant cable.

I'm sure a local proper electrical retail outlet would be happy to supply by the metre. I have some local to me that do.

You may even find your local Plumb Center or equivalent has it by the metre as well.

Try your local B & Q.

Mine sells both 4 core and 5 core (both plus earth) cables in pre-packed lengths of about 5 metre for £7-£10.

Provided it is not touching hot surfaces (pipes, pumps etc) there is no need for it to be heat resistant.

Sponsored Links
colours may vary, try not to get cable with 3 browns, its a PITA sorting which end goes where.

under the counter at the parts centre /hrpc just ask, cut to length ;)

colours may vary, try not to get cable with 3 browns, its a PITA sorting which end goes where.

The trick there is to note the position in relation clockwise to the neutral or earth, ie 1, 2, 3 N, E.
it will always be the same at the other end but counter clockwise, ie E, N, 3, 2, 1

Same with the 5 core with two blacks, if the black is between N and E at one end, then at the other end it will be between E and N.

It doesn't seem to be sold by places that sell electrical stuff, does it have a special name (other than 5-core cable :LOL: ) and can you get it by the metre? It looks like it might be heat-resistant.

5 core cable is hard to find unless you want armoured.
5 core FLEX is easier to obtain and will do for shorter runs.
Tlc and b+q online have it if you search for 5 core flex rather than cable

thanks, I see it now.

Presume no prob putting flex cores into a wiring centre? it seems to be just a plastic box with chocblock in it and some numbers. I haven't got any bootlace ferrules in that size.

No problems. Do follow the standard wiring plan for the box i.e. L, N, Eth, two for CH stat, two for HW stat and 9/10 for boiler/ pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back