5 ft of plastic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
mains water pipe from stopcock in kitchen is copper for about 2ft then changes to plastic for about 15ft,then back to copper through rest of house, where should it be bonded ?

Sponsored Links
On the copper, within 300mm of where the copper enters the equipotential zone (subject to correction by someone who knows more than I do about this stuff).

you definately need to bond the metal section that enters the ground.

whether you should also bond the other metal section is more open to debate. It can't introduce a potential into the equipotential zone from outside but it can carry potentials arround the building (pipes are usually routed near cables in my experiance).

imo the best thing to do would be to take a single unbroken run of earth cable first to the clamp on the metal section that enters the ground then clip it along the pipe and attatch it to the rest of the metal pipework.

Isn't the risk you mentioned mitigated by supplementary bonding of extraneous conductive parts?

Sponsored Links
in practice the large network of pipework will probablly get earthed by supplementry bonding somewhere yes but that is done to far lower standards than main bonding.

less than half the cable size, no requirement to keep unbroken runs for multi item bonds, connected to main earth only through piddly circuit CPCs.

i consider that far lower standards than those for main bonding.

OK I get you. But surely the potential (pun intended) hazard is much lower for differential ground voltages that arises within the home, compared to those coming from outside?

So although the protection is lower in supp. bonding, is the standard actually lower?

plugwash said:
you definately need to bond the metal section that enters the ground.

whether you should also bond the other metal section is more open to debate. It can't introduce a potential into the equipotential zone from outside but it can carry potentials arround the building (pipes are usually routed near cables in my experiance).

imo the best thing to do would be to take a single unbroken run of earth cable first to the clamp on the metal section that enters the ground then clip it along the pipe and attatch it to the rest of the metal pipework.

Which regulation calls for that and what would it achieve?

plugwash said:
It can't introduce a potential into the equipotential zone from outside but it can carry potentials arround the building
15' of plastic pipe containing clean water sounds like a pretty good insulator to me...

yes but after that plastic pipe its going to be running round the building potentially sharing notches with cables etc.

no it`s a potential ecp though .
I`d feel happeir earthing it.
Try passing 250V from an insulation tester thru 15 foot of clean water to your hand - it will bite you

Have you tried it?

If it's 22mm pipe 250V will push 0.8mA through that much water, 15mm and it's 0.5mA.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back