5 kva Generator

Ah, but what if you like to have a small radio in the bathroom? A cage would spoil one's reception of the Archers whilst one sits on the bog.

Sponsored Links
Ban-all-sheds..... I had more in mind warming water in the cylinder then turning generator off, once water is hot it will last all day. I should off said that really.

Thanks For the response.

The house has no electrics at the moment.The house needs total renovation and yes im living on site :(

The spell of body odour from my mad mates will be too much to handle so i will need to install a tempory shower .

I think the idea of installing a cylinder sounds good maybe a small unvented presserized cylinder 1 x 3kw thermostat.to supply the shower

Thanks Tony........

Sponsored Links
is there no supply there at all?!

if you are having a new supply from the rec anyway i doubt it will cost a huge amount extra to have it temporerally connected to a builders supply unit then moved to the house when its ready

if there is already a supply there then just fit a rcd CU and use it

failing that do they make combi boilers that run on bottled gas?

Well, caravans have bottled gas hot water so it must be possible. My family used to go camping every summer and we had a gas-powered fridge/freezer for our tent, of all things!

Tony, I don't suppose you have room to stick a mobile home in your garden do you? :D

david and julie said:
Ban-all-sheds..... I had more in mind warming water in the cylinder then turning generator off, once water is hot it will last all day. I should off said that really.
Indeed, but how safe is everything whilst the genny is running? It'll take a while to heat a cylinder full of cold water.

Maybe I'm being paranoid - do generators come with an earth rod and an RCD? A means of testing how good an earth you've got?

plugwash said:
if you are having a new supply from the rec anyway i doubt it will cost a huge amount extra to have it temporerally connected to a builders supply unit then moved to the house when its ready
I have feeling that he's doing all this in France. If FWL is right, they'll just string some jumpleads from the nearest overhead cables for him....

ban-all-sheds said:
Maybe I'm being paranoid - do generators come with an earth rod and an RCD? A means of testing how good an earth you've got?

as we are not connecting to anything outside the installation it really doesn't matter how well the whole system is connected to earth provided it is all bonded together well

some generators (generally small portables) have no connection between the "earth" and neutral of the output

the advantage of this is that contact with both the live and neutral outputs would be needed for shock

the disadvantage is it renders rcds useless

others (generally larger) have the earth and neutral of the output connected. this gives essentially a TN-S system

Yes... but... the pipework may be earthed via the incoming water supply. The bathroom may not be an earth-free environment.

Still - it's all speculation.

ban-all-sheds said:
Yes... but... the pipework may be earthed via the incoming water supply. The bathroom may not be an earth-free environment.

Still - it's all speculation.

sure the pipework may provide some extra earthing so what?

provided everything in the bathroom is well bonded you have two possible situations

generator with N-E linked:
just like in a house any contact between live and your bonded metalwork shuld rapidly trip any rcd and/or mcb

generator with N-E not linked
if one side of the generator output touches your bonded metalwork then no current flows and there is no shock problem
if both sides of the generator output touch your bonded metalwork then you will trip the mcb rapidly

Thanks for all your help on this .

The generator has its own earth terminal which is connected to a earth rod.It also has a rcd built in .

The problem is that the eletric supply is indead very expensive in france and at the moment there is no need for anything greater than 6kw.So i took the option of buying a generator 5kw .

I did not realise than i could not buy a electric shower below 7.2kw,for some reason i though i could buy one.
:oops:

So i think i will just not wash its easier!!!!!!!!

Tony6 said:
Thanks for all your help on this .

The generator has its own earth terminal which is connected to a earth rod.It also has a rcd built in .

The problem is that the eletric supply is indead very expensive in france and at the moment there is no need for anything greater than 6kw.So i took the option of buying a generator 5kw .
Does that mean that the generator will become a permanent part of your supply?

I did not realise than i could not buy a electric shower below 7.2kw,for some reason i though i could buy one.
If you could it would be about as much use as a Kleenex condom....

Thanks for the reply

The generator is only tempory untill the need comes for increased kw.

As the supplier charges you for different tarrifs ie 6kw,9kw 16,22,28,and 32.

There is no point in paying for say the 32kw if that is what i need at the end of the build if i can make do with say a 5kw generator.

tony

You could always get an instantaneous hand wash heater. These are about 3kW and will give you enough hot water for a strip wash at least.

You have to have some way of washing, don't want to blend in too much with the locals!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back