500W Floodlight from lighting ring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a 500W PIR floodlight outside my house. The only place I can put it is above an upstairs window and I want to take power from the loft. The only power the loft has is for the upstairs lighting which has its own circuit breaker in the consumer unit. That circuit currently feeds just 3 lights and an extractor fan.

Can I fit a 500W light to this lighting ring or does it need to fitted to the ring main due to the high wattage?
If I can, then how? The easiest way is to install a junction box in the loft and run a spur straight to the light. I'll put a switch in as well but does this need to be fused? The circuit breaker is labelled with B6 if this means anything.

Sponsored Links
best use a FCU from a ring main. from the lighting circuit and it might cause problems

in terms of total load it will be fine on the lighting cuircuit (assuming your other 3 lights aren't massive)

but there may be issues with switch on surges tripping the breaker

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back