50mm in place of 40mm ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

When fitting waste pipe is there any down side to using 50mm runs in place of 40mm runs where ever possible ?

For example crossing over from 32mm running from a wash hand basin to 50mm or crossing over from 40mm running from a shower trap again to 50mm.

I thought that the 50mm runs would help avoid syphonage and help the water simply drain away better in general ?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If the system is sized and fitted corectly i am not sure syphonage should be an issue. To answer your original question tho apart from the physical size of 50 mm pipe (intrusive, ease of getting couplers 32,40, etc) you can use what you like. If ou do use it i think ABS solvent weld would be best but make sure you put in plenty of access points just in case

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I was just thinking that it would be a "belts and braces" approach even if the system was correctly sized and fitted.

Sponsored Links
powell30";p="1133146 said:
If the system is sized and fitted corectly i am not sure syphonage should be an issue.

You are not sure because you don`t know.

To answer your original question tho apart from the physical size of 50 mm pipe (intrusive, ease of getting couplers 32,40, etc) you can use what you like.

No, errrr..you can`t actually.

If ou do use it i think ABS solvent weld would be best but make sure you put in plenty of access points just in case

Probably similar to what you do after finishing a job mate, make sure there are plenty of exit points.

Syphonage has more to do with the gradient of pipe you install and trap depth on each appliance, also how many appliances will discharge at any given time. Take no notice of John Wayne. ;)

Using 50mm waste would be a good idea if taking a few appliances.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back