50mm shower trap same as 40mm litres/min - that right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've gone out and bought some 50mm waste pipe from selco earlier today to upgrade our bathroom piping. The outside diameter is 55mm (hunter branded).

We used to have a 40mm (43mm outside diameter) pipe and a ST90CP10-70 mcAlpine shower trap. https://mcalpineplumbing.com/traps/shower-traps-accessories/st90cp10-70c-90mm-shallow-shower-trap

Am i correct in that any of the below 50mm shower traps will just connect to the above/work?
https://mcalpineplumbing.com/traps/...es/st90cp10-hp2c-112-90mm-hi-flow-shower-trap (those petal or slotted versions look pretty good, instead of the raised plastic)

our showertray.
https://www.bellabathrooms.co.uk/900-x-900-shower-tray-quadrant-low-profile-by-pearlstone.html

Cheers,
Sparky

Sponsored Links
None will connect directly to 50mm pipe. The outlet on the traps is for 1¹/2 inch pipe ( 40 / 43mm). No idea what your on about re ltr/ per min.

None will connect directly to 50mm pipe. The outlet on the traps is for 1¹/2 inch pipe ( 40 / 43mm). No idea what your on about re ltr/ per min.

Forget the title.
damn! I guess you're saying that i need to reduce it by adding a 40mm reducer and then attaching it to that? I wonder why they don't do it at 50mm.

Sponsored Links
Why do you want to use 50 mm+ waste pipe? Given that the trap outlet is 40 mm ,and perfectly adequate.

too many women in the household (hair issues) and while the floor is up may as well upgrade, i noticed some of the neighbours at 50mm pipe, much bigger than the 40mm. I also want to divert it directly into the soil stack rather than the outside gutter/drain (which also ends up in the same place) but it will be noticeably tidier than it already is.
Previous owners must of had a bath at some point so the joists are already cut - shame to waste those cuts...
I'm also going to divert the current 40mm waste pipe directly into the soil pipe (that's being replaced also).
Bought the pipe also and had to cut a 4m length down as they only had that so can't take it back now.

The 50mm is the size of the water seal inside the trap, not the outlet size. Outlet is still 11/2" - 40(43)mm. You can just use a 50mm reducer to connect just after the 40mm for the trap op to the 50mm, after that short piece of 40mm it will still flow better than a continuous 40 (43)mm so it'll maximise the trap outflow. Just get the fall ok.

The 50mm is the size of the water seal inside the trap, not the outlet size. Outlet is still 11/2" - 40(43)mm. You can just use a 50mm reducer to connect just after the 40mm for the trap op to the 50mm, after that short piece of 40mm it will still flow better than a continuous 40 (43)mm so it'll maximise the trap outflow. Just get the fall ok.
Great thank you Madrab :) I'll ensure the fall is good. That puts my mine at rest a little now.

its about the same price so for the sake of mucking about with a reducer it might be just worthwhile.
however 2" according to a conversion is 50.8. So will it take the 55mm pipe into it?

cheers denso13 unless you can think of a reason not to - i may as well try and do it that way...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back