50mm slab insulation - can it be compressed thinner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've just built a shed, and I am looking at insulating it before timber cladding the interior.

I'm looking at the different options to insulate, and originally was considering polystyrene and then came across Wickes general Purpose Slab Insulation. This stuff is 50mm thick.
Does anyone know if its possible to compress it further? I have a 38mm cavity, and was wondering if its possible to squeeze it down by the extra 12mm when I'm cladding over?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If its mineral wool then it should compress.

Sponsored Links
You can get polystrene in 25/28mm ish sheets.

I did my shed with this 20+ years ago when winters were colder and it worked well.

Dont forget to line with plastic sheeting, coat both sides with preservative etc.

It will put pressure on any cladding if you try to compress it.

38mm of quilt is not much use in terms of insulation. You would be better off putting 25 or 35mm of Celotex (or any foil backed insulation board) which will be equivalent of twice as thick quilt

Or if you get fibreglass quilt (yellow) then you can crudely thin it down by tearing it to make it thinner - you can't do this with the green rockwool type

thanks for the replies and suggestions. I went with polystyrene in the end. Time will tell how effective it is.
Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back