5m x 3m Block Shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a wood shed that is rotten and housing a few rats which are slowly chewing through my possessions so plan to replace with a block/brick version 5m x 3m which i can split into two sections, one side for shed and larger side for an office.

The area proposed has a few small trees nearby, trunk size of a pint glass and the soil is about a spade depth until clay.

My questions are:

1. I was planning up to DPC would be concrete (dense) block but was thinking of building the rest with a single skin of Aerated block but the thicker 21.5cm block type, would that offer similar insulation to a cavity wall with aerated block? What are the negatives?

2. If the above is an option and based on the soil type what size trench foundations are recommended

For the floor i am proposing joist and plank purely as i have recently replaced my house floor with engineered oak so have a bunch of planks free, plaster-boarded inside walls and for the flat roof i was thinking joist again with insulation (externally either rubber, fiberglass of metal - constrained by 2.5m height)

I am no builder, the above is just what i have seen on recent extensions in my area so just compiled a potential plan that i am sharing to see if its viable option and also means i can do a lot of the work myself.

Thanks for looking and appreciate any advice

Sponsored Links
I'm helping a mate build an extension, his footings were a trench fill, 1m deep, and around 500m wide... if that helps... Building control assessed the soil & depth.

I don't think thermally 215mm block will offer thermal of 100mm cavity with insulation, it would be more like solid 9" brick construction.
But this got me thinking you could externally insulate after building and clad/render when you've finished, probably easier to build, no ties etc and keeping cavities parallel.

If you are handy, you will be able to do this yourself or with a spare pair of hands.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Thanks Mr Chibs, i was thinking 1m foundations based on some bits i had read.

I will do some research on external insulation and cladding as a good idea and give an update when i have a plan.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back