5mm gap under skirting.......ok for carpet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few years ago, I laid laminate flooring in my lounge, and fixed skirting after to make a neat job, and it looks good. Now, my wife is opting for a change and wants carpet now, but after taking up all the laminate flooring, there is about approx 5mm( or the thickness of the laminate boards) left underneath the skirtingboards. Will this cause problems for a carpet fitter or is it a common issue. I've been told not to worry too much about it, and it will be ok, but it is playing on my mind. If there are any carpet fitters on this forum, please put my mind at ease, as the room is nicely decorated, and I can't bare the thought of taking off the skirting at this stage. Many thanks :confused:

Sponsored Links
unsecured carpet plus underlay amounts to about 12mm+ and can be as much as 18mm.

it will compress slightly at the grippers but not so much as to be a problem to your 5mm gap.

Will be no problem at all. You don't need a gap between the skirtings and the floor, a carpet fitter will put the grippers a few mill away from the skirting and the carpet will be tucked in tight.

Will be no problem at all. You don't need a gap between the skirtings and the floor, a carpet fitter will put the grippers a few mill away from the skirting and the carpet will be tucked in tight.

I understand that a gap is not required, but that is what I have after taking up the laminate flooring. I just wanted to know if it would cause a problem or show when a carpet goes down.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back