Carpet and Skirting Advice needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

We are currently stripping back our lounge and going back to carpet after having laminate foe the last 5 years.

When we moved in and put the laminate down we put the skirting on afterwards. Now that I have lifted the laminate I've been left with a 15mm gap between the floor and base of the skirting.

So should I take the skirting off and fix new so that it is flush with the floor so that the fitter can get a tight fit between the gripper and skirting all will I be safe to leave it as it is.

Looking to put down Cloud 9 Cumulus which is 11mm and then the carpet we are going for is 17mm.

Just would love to know what the general concensious on this would be.

I've attached a picture of the skirting in it's current position.

Cheers :)

Sponsored Links
you should be removing the skirts and then fitting down to the subfloor.

Your underlay maybe 11m but this does not make any difference at the edge as the gripper will only be 8mm ish and the carpet willl be sitting on this.

And this carpet. 17mm thick? That must be with the plie brushed up? Carpets have a natural pile direction so it will fall in a certain direction. It will not stay sticking up at 17mm.

The carpet is also ment to be compressed between the skirt and the gripper.

P.s. Dont go for 11mm underlay. Its to thick and causes the carpet to lift off the gripper rods. It also causes the carpet to wear faster due to the carpet backing over streching while being walked on. You will be much better of with cloud9 cirrus 9mm if you want to use a cloud9/Balls underlay.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back