does the skirting need a gap to install a carpet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, I took out a carpet with the intention to put it back. Something I found strange is some of the skirting doesn't have a gap between it and the floorboard. My question is does the skirting necessarily need a gap to install the carpet past the wood gripper strip? Cheers

Attachments

• WP_20161117_20_36_49_Rich.jpg
    WP_20161117_20_36_49_Rich.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 356
Sponsored Links
Ideally the skirting should be tight to the floor.....things do change as the building ages, of course.
The carpet grippers will hold things nicely.
John :)

Thanks for the speedy reply John :) great that means I can go ahead and paint the skirting without worrying about having to cut it ;)

Hey it looks like your skirting is continuous with the architrave, yes? Can I have a bigger photo? (I collect images of mouldings, and it is rare to see a continuous design like yours)
2doorwallbefore.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
then again maybe you are right. Will see if I can get a better pic.

Given the lack of clear detail on my screen, I'd say that:
The skirting and the architraves are same section with planted pencil round on the face.
Although there might also be bolection moulding planted on the edge of the square section material.

The skirtings are mitred and butt jointed, & the pencil round is mitred.

OP,
I dont see any gap? There appears to be a bead at the floor to skirting, is the bead there to cover the gap?
The floor looks great - why the carpet?

Looks like it,s been repaired at some time in between the doors with turus.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back