60mm stud / partition wall required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, our house upstairs has been built with Paramount. If you don't know what it is.....I didn't. It's 2 9.5 plasters boards sandwich together with a honey comb. Stud / brace at the head and a track / base along the bottom. Finished off with 34x34 timber at the sides for each section. Resulting in a 60mm thin wall and door lining. We have planning to move a wall. BUT we need to keep he new stud wall the same thinkness. CLS turned 90 degrees it. Is no good, the way the grain runs it gonna be hell bouncy. Help please

Sponsored Links
Despite what people might tell you on here, you can construct a partition wall with 25mm battens and 12mm plasterboard each side so even thinner than your 60mm. I know this for a fact as I lived in a new build that had exactly such walls.

If you want to take some of the bounciness out of a thin wall, why not copy some of the design of the Paramount walls by making your own honeycomb out of, say, 6mm plywood.

This would need to be glued to the back surface of the first plasterboard (laid flat on a perfectly flat surface) with all the joints also glued together. The outer edge lippings will need to be a bit more substantial, say 25 to 44mm thick x width of ply strips. Once dry you'd need to glue the top edges of the plywood and lipping and lay the other skin on top. The paper face of the plasterboards will allow a construction adhesive, such as GripFill yellow (non-solvent - whatever you use needs to be runny-ish but have some solids in it be relatively slow during to give you time to work and bond well to wood/paper fibres) to form a bond, although it will take 24 hours for it to cure properly. A hot melt glue gun can be used to tack the bits together during construction and until the main hlur sets.I think something like a 60 to 100mm "grid" should suffice, but you would need to ensure that your plywood strips are very consistently ripped and that you are very generous with the glue. I have made up something similar with 6mm birch plywood in the past using D4 PVA, and the resulting torsion box is very rigid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Despite what people might tell you on here, you can construct a partition wall with 25mm battens and 12mm plasterboard each side so even thinner than your 60mm. I know this for a fact as I lived in a new build that had exactly such walls.
Very interesting thank you so much, out of interest do you what type of wood the batterns were?

Sponsored Links
They looked like roofing battens if I recall - 25x50s! :LOL: My house wasn't the last to be built so I was able to freely wander about the rest of the site out of hours checking out exactly how they were constructing the houses - not much site security then either.

But you could fit say 38x50's and have 9.5 PB each side if you wanted and still be under your 60mm.

They looked like roofing battens if I recall - 25x50s! :LOL: My house wasn't the last to be built so I was able to freely wander about the rest of the site out of hours checking out exactly how they were constructing the houses - not much site security then either.

But you could fit say 38x50's and have 9.5 PB each side if you wanted and still be under your 60mm.

Do you think going for c24 structural graded timer is over kill? Why not use CLS and flip it 90 degrees?, A lots of runs of noggins. Say 3 or 4 runs?

don't think you can even get C24 in such small sizes, CLS is fine, use as many noggins as you like.

don't think you can even get C24 in such small sizes, CLS is fine, use as many noggins as you like.
So what I forgot to mention is we have said wall already build, with CLS at 90 degrees. So giving is 38mm perfect. WITH ONLY, one row of noggins. It's very flexible.

It'll be the boards that give it the rigidity.
Sorry it's been boarded, with 9.5 mini boards. Now I'll try and explain this as the best I can. Not all the board land on a noggins or stud on all 4 side of the plaster board. So the plaster boards, some of them butt together with no timber to sit on. If that makes sense

In other words the boards weren't cut to size before being fixed

In other words the boards weren't cut to size before being fixed
Well that's the strange thing, they brought new boards with them. Mini boards as that's all selco had. I noticed that a few of the boards just but on one side. So meaning 2 boards meeting together not sat on timber. Is this incorrect?

You could glue plasterboard either side of celotex and improve rigidity and sound proofing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back