6400w Electric Hob... What amp do i need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Im installing a 6400w (max) electric hob which runs independent of my other gas cooker. I only have a standard 30amp wallsocket installed at present in the kitchen (in fact 30amp is max at the moment in my electric box) Is this sufficent to run this appliance or will i need to run some 45 amp cable from the main electric box?

Thanks
John

Sponsored Links
Bear in mind that the cooker hob will be running on the downstairs ring along with my other appliances such as plasma tv and pc.... will this affect it? Thanks John

Bear in mind that the cooker hob will be running on the downstairs ring along with my other appliances such as plasma tv and pc.... will this affect it? Thanks John
WHAT?!?! NO! You dont have a 30 amp socket then, whatever one of those looks like??? You have a THIRTEEN AMP SOCKET, like what all your other appliances plug into, if i understand you correctly.

So YES you do need a new circuit, run in 6 or 10mm² cable. Again, I've never seen 45 amp cable. Good luck buying any. I strongly recommend you get professional advice. What does your fuse box look like? Is it brown? Does it have rewireable fuses?

Sponsored Links
Yeah sorry i understand that i was hopeing to use the existing wiriing to plug in the cooker (not necessarily the wall socket) but as i have since found out since this morning (from an electrician friend) the cooker must run idependently on its own fuse and cable to the box. Yeah i have an old type wire fuse box and will upgrade that as the same time as running the 6mm cable for the cooker. Thanks for the advice.

John

The answer is 6400 divided by 230 equals amps. If you are not familiar with this trick, I would say you are taking a risk installing this yourself. It is literally chapter one knowledge. If you have not mastered that you will be in for a surprise when it comes to reduction factors, prospective fault currents and more.
Sorry if this sounds disrespectful, but you really should leave this to someone else.

John

Are you saying you have a cooker outlet in your kitchen most houses do

You need to check the manufacturers plate on the hob to ascertain what the rating is as some appliances are still rated at 240V and some at the new harmonised 230V it does make a difference in calculating the current load of hob.

Your ID does not indicate which part of the UK you are in but if in England or Wales then any electrical work carried out within a kitchen is now notifiable to Building Control under Part P of building Regs

Check out Wiki

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back