65kg punch bag frame in garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:28 am Post Subject: External frame for 65kg punch bag

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the situation: Have a small area about 1.5m x 3.0m which is underneath a timber roof enclosed by a blockbuilt outbuilding a decking area and garden fence with a timber roof over. The ground is currently covered with a thin layer of gravel and the roof structure I do not believe would support the bag especially because of the 'live' nature of the load - moving when it's being hit.

I'm thinking of digging a trench and mass filling with concrete then bolting a timber post to the ground or sinking it into the concrete. This will allow me to hang a shop bought heavy bag hanger to one side of the post at the top and hopefully that will work. The bag is 65kg (145lb roughly) with 3 point chain to hang it.

Since I'm a new home-owner I'm new to the DIY thing and wondering if anyone has any better ideas or solutions or maybe have done something similar.

Also timber post sizes to support this kinda load would be useful. The bag is currently in my parents garage supported on a metal brace between two joists.

Any advice, suggestions or related topics/forums would be brilliant.
Photos are in my profile albums under 'Future 65kg punch bag location'

Thanks
DIY div

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a lot of time, trouble and expense if you don’t mind me saying. If you can just hang it from an overhead beam, like I have done, it’s a lot easier.

Not saying I have a solution to your problem, but I can tell you I suspended mine from a beam in my lean-to and it’s been fine.

The only thing I have found is it does resound, the roof acts like a diaphragm, so what I intended to do but still haven’t got around to it yet is include a strong spring to isolate the bag from the roof.

I haven't looked at your pics yet but I’ll post a picture of mine when I get home if it helps…

It looks like you have a stable structure to support and stabilize the framework, in which case I don’t think my situation is so very different to yours; as in I have a flimsy frame coming off one solid wall. The beam mine hangs from is only a 1 ¾” x 2” so nothing to shout about.

I'm not sure what your framework is doing but from what I can see I would have thought with a little reinforcement it could be made stronger if it's not up to the job and certainly much less hassle than any other option IMHO. Oh, and the closer to the wall the better, like I have done ;)

I would hang it up firstly, just to test the water and see what you think. If the frame does move more than you like you will at least get a better idea of where to brace it and it will save you so much more trouble than going down the hole-digging & concrete route.

Here’s mine and, like I say, other than the noise reverberating through the roof, which I think I can overcome, (but looks like won’t be a problem where you are), it is absolutely fine.

Good luck anyway bud.

Tony

PS. After washing my smalls in there I like to do a manly thing just to re-affirm my alpha male status.
sport-smiley-005.gif

What a gay day...
grinning-smiley-030.gif

PunchBag.jpg

Sponsored Links
I've already made a start last weekend. Only expense was the postcrete I used to set the posts in the floor.

I dug 2 holes 300mm x 300mm and just over a foot deep.

sunk in some roof beams -(which I got free) and now I'm in the process of making the beam and supports which I'll finish tomorrow evening with any luck... Will post my photos of the finished article...

your suggestions were welcome and I'm probably over estimating the stresses caused by the bag - but I like to plan for the worst...

happt DIYing!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back