External frame for 65kg punch bag

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here's the situation: Have a small area about 1.5m x 3.0m which is underneath a timber roof enclosed by a blockbuilt outbuilding a decking area and garden fence with a timber roof over. The ground is currently covered with a thin layer of gravel and the roof structure I do not believe would support the bag especially because of the 'live' nature of the load - moving when it's being hit.

I'm thinking of digging a trench and mass filling with concrete then bolting a timber post to the ground. This will allow me to hang a shop bought heavy bag hanger to one side of the post at the top and hopefully that will work. The bag is 65kg (145lb roughly) with 3 point chain to hang it.

Since I'm a new home-owner I'm new to the DIY thing and wondering if anyone has any better ideas or solutions or maybe have done something similar.

Also timber post sizes to support this kinda load would be useful. The bag is currently in my parents garage supported on a metal brace between two joists.

Any advice, suggestions or related topics/forums would be brilliant.
will post photos tonight.

Thanks
DIY div

Sponsored Links
photos will be ulploaded tonight - on iphone so need to resave as JPEG's first

just hang it off the roof with an eyebolt through the beams..
should be fine..
just how strong do you think you are? ;)
a 65KG punchbag will swing back and forth slowly only a few inches.. unless you're running at it from the other side of the garden that is.

Sponsored Links
just hang it off the roof with an eyebolt through the beams..
should be fine..
just how strong do you think you are? ;)
a 65KG punchbag will swing back and forth slowly only a few inches.. unless you're running at it from the other side of the garden that is.

cheers for reply coljack! did you view the pics of the structure? I don't think it is sturdy enough. Plus the mass of the bag swinging is my worry - not my left hook! :D

It's not a very professionally built structure and therefore do not have every faith in it - plus the wood is exposed and hasn't been treated so is not really a viable option - so am looking for a floor mounted option. Any ideas on that front?

Again - cheers for the response.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back