68mm or 110mm pipe for underground surface wate drainage?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Iam doing some digging in my garden (going to be turfed and no vehicle access) and have noticed that the underground pipes for both my downspouts are in 68mm downspout pipe, there is no inspection points etc just an elbow on the end of each downspout and a clay and concrete formation where both downspouts meet at a Y and go out under the pavement to the road to drain.

Should all these pipes be replaced in 110mm with gullys at each downspout and a proper inspection chamber to join the two before going out to road drain? The outlet to the road drain is clay and about the same size as the 68mm pipe.

The only problem I could see with having an inspection chamber is the highest point of the outlet (top of the pipe to road) is about 150mm below the finished level, and to get the falls on the pipes from the downspouts they would have to be lower than the outlet.

Sponsored Links
Underground drainage is traditionally in 110 mm and as it should not block rarely has inspection chambers.

I have never heard of using 68mm.

When was the house built and who built it?

Tony

The house was built in the early 1900's there is evidence of old clay pipes smashed up so has been bodged as has everything else around here.

How would I go about connecting two (in a Y shape) 110mm pipes to a 68mm ish clay pipe going to the road drain?

At that time it was normal to put rainwater into the soil drains or into soakaways.

The clay 68 mm seems an oddity unless they are land drains without watertight joints.

Fitting 110 mm pipes terminating in a 68mm pipe is not at all ideal or sensible.

The question then arises where does this 68mm actually terminate?

Also could you out the rainwater into the soil drain now IF your neighbours are doing that? What are they doing?

Tony

Sponsored Links
The soil drains are at the other side of the house, so I doubt they would have used them also the front garden is only about 2mx3m so I doubt a soak away would have been used.

The 68mm clay drain leads straight under the path to an outlet in the kerb going straight into the road.

I understand that 110 into 68 isnt great but in this case its the only option, Im wondering if there would be any benefit to laying 110mm instead of leaving the current 68mm pipes in?

Neighbours downpipes either drain onto there garden slabs or drain onto the public footpath (onto concrete slabs with grooves)

Right now I know more.

It is quite common to use 68mm to just drain onto street gutter or even just pavements like that on old properties.!

I don't see any reason for you to change anything at all!

Tony

After further inspection the drain to the road is totally blocked and all the buried pipes, so my water has been draining to next doors down pipe.

Do you think this could be a common occurrence with such small pipes?

Also ive smashed the concrete Y piece once I found all the pipes were blocked how do I go about joining it up again (a 68mm pushfit branch might not have the correct angle nor is it a leak proof)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back