6A MCB Tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
A friend has a problem with his security light. i have not visited his house as yet but I,m intrigued by his problem.

He was replacing fuse wire in his consumer unit every time it blew, I suggested he replace rewirable (semi enclosed ?)fuse with 6A MCB.

His MCB trips within a time range of Mil sec's to 5 Hrs after he has switched on the feed to the Pir Security light outside. The light does not need to illuminate to trip the MCB but need only a live feed to it.

I suggested he 1. replace the OLD Light completely, (he did to no avail). 2 check ceiling rose in Kitchen as he thinks light was fed from it (his father inl-aw checked it out and gave the ok??), 3 look at switch and make sure all connections secure etc (he did and says all ok). He has also assured me that any visible cable to the light looks ok.

I have now suggested he replace the switch (old switch) to eliminate the final accessory, (Unless junction boxed somewhere).

My question is this, given the above, what trips an mcb after 5 hrs one day and trips it immediately on another day?

My thoughts are , as it is intermittent then water may be involved somewhere?.

Any help appreciated with poss causes.

I have offered to take a look at it if his light switch replacement is unsuccessful.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Water is a likely culprit, it would be advisable to have an electrician carry out an Insulation Resistance test on the circuit. What is the total wattage of lighting on the circuit?

Not sure on wattage though he does have a seperate circuit for upstairs and down. Nothing added to circuit in years but tripping started a few weeks ago without any work having been done (not even a pic put on well with a nail).

Look at the cable between where it leaves the building and the outside light , it may be perished.

Sponsored Links
As all the accessories have been changed it would appear to be cable damage poss a nail through the cable or chaffed against a pipe, water or gas ,each time the mcb trips it may be burning through whatever has caused the damage, this may cause a fire :( , get it sorted as soon as poss

Was informed today that they have ran a flex to the light now and plugged into conservatory. I asked do they want me to look at it but was informed that they were happy to live with the setup as it is.

No conclusion I'm afraid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back