6mm Cable

If the RCD trips up at the house you basically have to walk back to reset it that's my reasoning,
That's what everyone says, but if one has to undertake that 'walk down the garden' more than once every few years, at worst, then one really ought to be investigating the cause of the trips and eliminating. I have electricity in a greenhouse, detached garage and a couple of sheds, and can't recall any occasion in which anything in any of them has ever resulted in an RCD trip.
I'd have it on a Time delay at the house if i was designing it personally with RCD at shed local to the installation.
That would seem unnecessarily complicated, and a TD RCD would presumably not be adequate to protect the existing socket, anyway.
Sounds very much like the OP ran it himself as a new circuit anyway.
Maybe, but, whether notified at the time or not, that is 'history'
Is work to an outside installation notifiable these days or not?
Not in England, but any outdoor electrical work remains notifiable in Wales.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
To return to the mid-garden socket.
Personally, I would install an adaptable box (suggest a Wiska 308 and a Wiska earthing bar). Terminate the two SWAs there.
Provide a short length of suitably-sized flex from the box to the garden socket.

But you haven't yet answered this question yet....
is the existing SWA properly glanded at the source end and the armour earthed?

To return to the mid-garden socket.
Personally, I would install an adaptable box (suggest a Wiska 308 and a Wiska earthing bar). Terminate the two SWAs there.
Provide a short length of suitably-sized flex from the box to the garden socket.

But you haven't yet answered this question yet....
There is no SWA installed yet.. the outside socket is supplied via 6mm flex back entry via the wall. SWA would go from the socket to adaptable box to the shed

There is no SWA installed yet.. the outside socket is supplied via 6mm flex back entry via the wall. SWA would go from the socket to adaptable box to the shed
In that case, assuming the socket is on a suitable box, it should not be a problem glanding the outgoing SWA into it.

However, as has been said, you may or may not have problem getting two 6mm conductors into the socket's terminals- and that might become even more complicated if one of the conductors is flex. You might therefore have to resort to the previous suggestion of joining the cables in a box and taking an additional feed from that box to the localsocket.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back