6mm skim?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is a 6mm skim over plasterboard possible? I know a usual 2 coat skim is 2-3mm which has been done throughout, but I have some led profiles that are mounted around some rooflights that now protrude 6mm and I’d like to have the plaster flush.

Sponsored Links
What’s an led profile?
It’s kinda possible, but only in small areas against beads/door frames. It’ll take much longer to go off than the rest of the wall so you’ll need to treat it accordingly and not over work it. Sponge float is handy for that kind of area.
You skimming it yourself? Fair play if you are

Pretty much an edge bead. It’s an aluminium profile you stick an led strip in. I suppose I could grade down from 6-3mm. I’m having a bash myself. My motto.... how hard can it be?!

Getting it on the wall is easy, getting it looking great while it’s still bare plaster is easy, getting it looking great when painted and your leds are shining across it, really hard. Good on ya for having a go though, any questions post here (y)

Sponsored Links
getting it looking great when painted and your leds are shining across it, really hard.
Know what you mean. Already noticed some plaster imperfections by the window where the light shines across. Really highlights them. Nothing a roll of 60 grit won’t sort!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back