7.2 electric shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i have recently replaced my electric shower unit myself,, its a redring 7.2, running off 6mm cable, the previous was a redring so plumbing in was no bother, however ive since read all sorts of stuff to do with rcd, correct fuse, length of cable etc, it seems to be working fine, im sure all these things are VERY relevant, however in my particular situation im hoping they are not, any thoughts please and a happy new year

Sponsored Links
Assuming your shower was correctly fitted in the first place, then the fuse/MCB/RCBO will be matched to the cable, as long as you don't change the fuse/MCB/RCBO then even if you fit wrong size shower worst that should happen is the fuse/MCB/RCBO will open. 6 mm² cable does not have a single rating but depends on type of cable and route it takes so there is no simple answer like 6 mm² cable will take 32 amp.

As to RCD (also called RCCD, ELCB-c RCBO and many more names) they have been required for shower supplies for a long time, I would hope already fitted, there is no law that says they must be fitted the regulations are not law. But it would be silly not to have one for bathroom supplies. In the main they have a test button, which is the easy way to show it is a RCD even if it has another name.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back