Redring Powerstream

Was googling and saw my post so thought Id give you an update on how things are going on now were into 09!

Still remained with the powerstream, I have got used to the low flow and can easily coap with it.

Still keeping the Dimplex convector heaters. I have tried a 2KW 4ft Mk1 oil filled rad on the wall but produced very intense heat and was left in the cold to an extent when the thermostat clicked off. Have gone back to the convector, it seems to heat the air as it circulates so you dont tend to get the intense hot/cold problem I found with radiant electric heating.

I also have taken out the old gas flame effect fire and at the moment have black sacks taped over the hole. What a difference that has made, the room heats up twice as quick now and no drafts. I have agreed for a builder to come round to remove the old fireplace, brick it up and plaster.

Electricity wise I had moved to eon about 6 months ago and my electric DD is still 60.00 a month. Though giving the last meter reading over the phone Im £60 short. So I suspect my DD should really be £70 a month.

Still have to remove the old gas combi boiler and brick up the flue, something the builder said he will do for me.

Still toying with the idea of a 2nd 12 KW powerstream for the bathroom instead of using the one in the kitchen. Anyone know if my 100A house fuse can handle both?

Sponsored Links
Been though the worst of winter, now its about 10-15 degrees outside during the day I was hoping the temp of the hot water was going to be warmer than it is. At the moment Im still using the 12Kw Powerstream and annoyingly the water in the range of 35 degrees C out the hot tap. After taking a reading from the cold tap it is only a 20 degree rise.

I have also changed the convector heaters to Glen oil filled radiators attached to the wall. I changed to these after the thermostats failing on the convector heaters. Leaving the oil filled radiators on low/med 24/7 kept the room warm oddly enough despite being on 24/7 they used the same amount of electricity as I was using with the convection heaters.

A couple of months ago I had Eon contact me saying they wanted to increase my DD to £160 a month! Knowing they were over estimating my usage (as it was winter) I refused this over the phone, they agreed of £100 a month. I have just switched to EDF as they were 2p a unit cheaper on T2, I had eon phone me up trying to retain my account we agreed £80 a month would have been more suitable.

Based on the theory of slow and steady heating I am seriously considering changing the Redring for a more conventional unvented direct water heater. Estimating my usage I predict 100-150 litres should be suitable for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back