Replacing my electric shower

Calcs (as you well should know) should be based on 230v, not the on site variance.
Please explain why you think that an 8725W shower will draw 41.xxx Amps, without using any "on site variance".

Ok- You're smug, sanatmouous attitude is starting to lift hairs on my neck.

Due to this, I'll have a final attempt at explaining something that you don't seem to understand.

The OP mentioned a 9.5kw shower.

For calcs I was trained (maybe wrongly ) to assume 230v as the voltage. It was re-iterated during all training segments that 230v was to be used.

Not (and I'll repeat the word, not) the 'real' site voltage- which I understand could change over the life cycle of a installation (say sub station change, major add on's in local area demand etc).

So why do you think the 41.xxx is so way out ??

Rather than just attempting to make others look stupid (such as your childish black and white interpretation of 'x' being wrongly typed when it was bloody obvious it was a divide that should have been included) give us your methodology regarding your calcs.

Then maybe progressive debate would follow rather than you just coming across as a bit of a pendant / jerk with nothing better to do than split hairs.

I'd rather use time helping people that might be appreciative, than defending myself against your poor humoured, nonconstructive responses.

Trans World Airline Tea comes to mind

Sponsored Links
I've no idea why you think that you can explain something to me that I understand 100%, but I thank you for putting in the effort.

Yes, the OP mentioned a 9.5kw shower, but electric shower manufacturers give two ratings:- one at 240V and one at 230V. The ratings are geared towards the limit of the commonly available circuit breakers, hence a 9.5kW shower will run at a maximum of 40A.

I never said that 41.xxx was way out - I simply said that it was wrong, and I said why it was wrong. I didn't make you look stupid - you did an excellent job all on your own.

When you rejected my initial correction and poked fun at me, I thought it would be humourous to poke fun at your 'Volt Watts'. And I was right.

You want methodology? OK. It's Ohms Law. The shower heating elements have a resistance that is reasonable constant, and the current is therefore directly propertional to the voltage applied to them.

You say that you'd rather use time helping people that might be appreciative. Fine. Please proceed.

Sponsored Links
The most important question of all has yet to be answered, which was aimed at jimmbo...

Have you measured the flow rate that you're getting at the inlet to the shower, to make sure that it will support a 9.5kW shower?

The rest of my first post on the topic was merely a 'BTW', but Chri5 seems to have taken umbrage at what was, initially, the tiniest of mentions that 41.xxx was wrong.

Also, ricicle, it's more than a small injustice that you were the one who pointed out the incorrect use of "x" (instead of "/"), and yet here you are implying a complaint at the b*tching that ensued.

Also, ricicle, it's more than a small injustice that you were the one who pointed out the incorrect use of "x" (instead of "/"), and yet here you are implying a complaint at the b*tching that ensued.

That was for anyone else's benefit who might not be familiar with the formula so they didn't ponder why 9500 x 230 = 41..........
I thought it necessary as Chri5 had written it on two occasions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back