Shower issues

I find domestic switches are reliable devices and by far the most frequent failure is shower pull switches overheating. My theory on this [and again I stress it is only my theory without any great deal if investigative proof] is the thick wires are forced into a very limited space after tightening and the good termination becomes disturbed/damaged at the time of installation after that it's only a question of time. Most other switches don't suffer with the same cramped conditions.

That seems about right, which is a good reason to have a wall mounted one which is much more robust and more space for the cable.

My bathroom light and shower isolator switches are just outside the bathroom door.

Sponsored Links
That seems about right, which is a good reason to have a wall mounted one which is much more robust and more space for the cable.
If it results, at least theoretically, in an 'unnecessary' fire risk, some might say that it is a 'good reason' for not having one at all, mightn't they?

Kind Regards, John

And how do you expect the average combi boiler to work in frost protection mode with the water turned off?????
A combi boiler does not require the water to be turned on to work in frost protection mode. It just circulates the water in the central heating pipes.

A combi boiler does not require the water to be turned on to work in frost protection mode. It just circulates the water in the central heating pipes.
Try turning the mains water off, open a cold tap to relieve the pressure, turn up the frost stat or raise the set point to above the ambient temp and see what happens. I can only say what happen with Remeha and Chaffs.

Sponsored Links
Neither the water regs nor the wiring regs apply to a combi in frost protection mode.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back