Shower issues

Just because the regs say you don't have to have an isolator doesn't mean you can't fit one.

The regs are a minimum and can be exceeded.

Indeed, but if they are mis used, being turned on and off every day perhaps it is better not to have one.

Sponsored Links
upload_2020-8-24_22-54-52.png

upload_2020-8-24_22-58-40.png

Bit too much to expect that switches can be turned on and off.

Perhaps if people want to turn things on and off something should be invented.

What could we call them?

Where do these ludicrous ideas originate?

View attachment 202900

View attachment 202901

Bit too much to expect that switches can be turned on and off.

Perhaps if people want to turn things on and off something should be invented.

What could we call them?

Where do these ludicrous ideas originate?

Whether you call it a switch or an isolator there is no necessity to operate before and after every shower. It is fitted for emergencies (very rare) or for maintenance (not necessary as the power should be isolated at the CU for maintenance),

There is no necessity to operate the switch, but where’s the problem with doing so?

as you you have so eloquently stated it is operated
before and after every shower.
These are times when there is nothing but a minimal load on the circuit.

Sponsored Links
There is no necessity to operate the switch, but where’s the problem with doing so?

as you you have so eloquently stated it is operated before and after every shower.

These are times when there is nothing but a minimal load on the circuit.

Read post 9 and numerous similar posts on this subject in the past.

Post 9:

Are you turning the switch on and off perhaps, every time you use the shower? It is unnecessary and causes a great deal of wear and tear on the switch. The switch is there only for isolation, when you or someone else is working on the shower.

Thanks all, no the shower switch was new when the shower was put in a few months ago. (There's another post on here somewhere where I had to lift the floor above to add a noggin to get something solid to screw into.) Anyway, we tend to leave it on.

I don't think the cabling was was loose, but it is a tight spot, so maybe something came loose when pushing the switch up to meet the box. Either that or a dodgy switch possibly.

Anyhoo.. Have cut back the cables to where they look healthy and re-run 10mm from a heavy duty junction box to a new 50A switch (MK, not Crabtree, due to reusing the old square backbox). Everything back together and working (10 min test) but I've left the floorboard up in the spare room above to keep an eye on things.

Still on a 32A MCB, but I picked up a 50A while out today. A job for another day perhaps.

UPDATE:
32A MCB tripped after 10mins use today, so I've swapped it out for the 50A and re-inspected the cabling running to, and within the switch for any excess heat. Fingers crossed it's OK now....

Last edited:
They went away in winter and didn't turn the water off?
There is no requirement to have an isolating valve in the house and therefore winston will not have one of them so Winston won't be able to turn the wter off.
All they had to do was pull that not required [in Winstons words] switch and the shower couldn't have turned itself on and they wouldn't have a £2K leccy bill and the insurance wouldn't have a stupidly big claim and the couple wouldn't have lost all of the irreplaceable memories and they wouldn't have been stuffed into a little flat for 6 months and... and...

Whether you call it a switch or an isolator there is no necessity to operate before and after every shower. It is fitted for emergencies (very rare) or for maintenance (not necessary as the power should be isolated at the CU for maintenance),
Yet another repeat of a stupid comment from Winston. In a shower emergency the last thing anyone would want to do is scrub around clad only in a towel and dripping water to turn of the supply to the house.

Indeed, but if they are mis used, being turned on and off every day perhaps it is better not to have one.
This sort of wording appears in many, if not all, shower manuals:
upload_2020-8-25_1-15-22.png
It's even highlighted in this one.

Last edited:
When Winston says "no requirement" he means "no obligation."

Which is not the same thing.

When Winston says "no requirement" he means "no obligation."

Which is not the same thing.
There is a requirement, here's another instance:
upload_2020-8-25_1-24-30.png

MI's show the requirement whether or not 7671 insists on it, if not fitted the warranty or insurance can and will wiggle out of it if they can.

It is unnecessary and causes a great deal of wear and tear on the switch.
Rubbish. It is a switch.

The switch is there only for isolation, when you or someone else is working on the shower.
Local isolation is not a requirement of the Wiring Regulations -

so how can you say what purpose the person had in mind when it was fitted?

... so how can you say what purpose the person had in mind when it was fitted?
Quite so. If, as some do, they have the switch fitted so that they can (for whatever perceived reason) operate it before/after every shower, then it is clearly nonsense to say that, in their case, "The switch is only their for isolation".

As for "... a great deal of wear and tear on the switch", I would imagine that most light switches are operated at least as frequently as would a shower switch used before and after every shower, and that many are operated far more frequently that that. My ageing memory may be a litle dusty but I cannot recall any occasion in the 30+ years I've been in my present house when I had to replace a light switch because it had failed due to 'wear and tear' - and that despite the fact that, unlike shower switches, light switches are invariably operated 'on load'.

Kind Regards, John

As for "... a great deal of wear and tear on the switch", I would imagine that most light switches are operated at least as frequently as would a shower switch used before and after every shower, and that many are operated far more frequently that that. My ageing memory may be a litle dusty but I cannot recall any occasion in the 30+ years I've been in my present house when I had to replace a light switch because it had failed due to 'wear and tear' - and that despite the fact that, unlike shower switches, light switches are invariably operated 'on load'.

I have had one light switch fail here in a slightly longer period and I agree, they rarely do fail, but they are wall switches. Ceiling light switches fail rather more often, they are maybe more complex/ more delicate and abused more - yanked by the strength of an arm, rather than a finger tip. An additional problem is the current the have to carry, even if they don't switch it - up to 45amp, in what is a fairly compact space. They also use a similar mechanism to many ballpoint pens, to convert a pull into on on/off. The mechanism of lots of these pens fail. There are also lots of complaints of shower pull switches failing in this forum.

I have also never heard of a wall mounted shower isolator switch failing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back