Replacing a 7kW electric shower with a 10.8kW one

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I want to replace my 7kW electric shower with a 10.8kW one. I currently have a 6mm2 cable from my fuse box to the existing shower. I've read up a bit on this website already and would like some advice from someone if possible...do i need to upgrade the existing cable from a 6mm2 to a 10mm2?

The existing 6mms cable is chased into the wall however there is no conduit to pull a new cable through. Will everything be ok if i just change the showers without changing the cables then? What will the implications be if i don't change the cable?

Thanks for listening.
Rob

Sponsored Links
Implications?

This is a 60A consumer unit having been fitted with a 10.5kW shower on 6mm² with a 30A fuse.

60AWylexvs10.jpg

Sponsored Links
do i need to upgrade the existing cable from a 6mm2 to a 10mm2?
Yes.

Will everything be ok if i just change the showers without changing the cables then?
Possibly not.

What will the implications be if i don't change the cable?
Things could go awry, possibly in a seriously dangerous way.

You'll also be in contravention of the wiring regulations, which could make the work illegal, even if you notify it properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back