Fitting a 10.8KW shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I am about to fit a 10.8KW Mira shower and have a couple of questions. I have to run the cable from the consumer unit (about 15m in length). The cable will run under floor and for a small distance (4m)in the wall. Is 10mm2 cable OK for this.
Also I may want another shower fitted in an en'suite of similar power is this a problem? I am planning to run two cables to the consumer unit, the second just in case I fit the second shower.

Cheers

Rich

Sponsored Links
Ricker said:
Hi guys, I am about to fit a 10.8KW Mira shower and have a couple of questions. I have to run the cable from the consumer unit (about 15m in length). The cable will run under floor and for a small distance (4m)in the wall. Is 10mm2 cable OK for this.
Yes. What rating MCB will you be using?

Also I may want another shower fitted in an en'suite of similar power is this a problem?
Fitting a 2nd shower is not a problem.

Using both of them might be, as together they will draw 90A...

Also, I'm not sure what LABC will say about it when you tell them...

Cheers for the reponse. I was going to get an electrician in to do the consumer unit end. I guess a 30ma RCB should be fitted.

What is the current limit allowed into a property. We currently have a gravity feed shower in the en'suite and so could stick with that. Do I need to contact my LACB for the one shower?

Sponsored Links
Ricker said:
Cheers for the reponse. I was going to get an electrician in to do the consumer unit end.
You may struggle to find anyone prepared to do that, given the requirements of Part P, and the need for him to accept responsibility for the circuit if he connects it up.

What is the current limit allowed into a property.
You are most likely to have an 80A or 100A main fuse, but it could be less.

Do I need to contact my LACB for the one shower?
Oh yes - it is very definitely notifiable work, so if you DIY, you are required to notify them. Both the installation of the shower and the cable itself are notifiable items.

Just another quick one. What exactly does LACB stand for.

Don't know.

But LABC stands for Local Authority Building Control, i.e. your council's Building Control Dept.

You have heard of Part P, haven't you???

I have heard of it but I feel some investigation is in order. I have an electrician relative who'll do the last bit for me. All I want to do really is run the wire so he doesn;t have to be around as I do up my bathroom. So really I am running one cable.

Would not advise the second shower, while I do not take the section of the regs on diversity as gospel, if you have two showers of that rating on a 100A SP supply, it is reasonable forseeable that in circumstances which are not too exceptional (two people showering while someone boils the kettle) that the service fuse would be overloaded, and while they are quite resiliant things, its not good practice IMHO to design something which is going to be frequently overloaded.

OK cheers, one electric and one gravity fed it is. Time to buy a larger hot water tank I guess...

Gravity feed is a no no.
Mains water only for electric showers.

Back to the drawing board I think.

No, sorry you misunderstand. The electric shower I am fitting will be mains fed. The second shower in en'suite which is currently an un pumped gravity fed shower off the hot water tank will remain gravity fed.

Thanks for all of your help

What we are doing here is the main bathroom is going to have a pumped shower fed from the central heating system, with electrics only to pump the water, and a 8.5kw electric shower in the small toilet for occasional use, if someone wants to shower while someone is taking a bath, or if the hot water has all been used up, etc

Will mean we finally get rid of the electric shower in the main bathroom that seems determined to set itself on fire... (connections are starting to break down inside and get hot)

*lifts rug, sweeps part p out of sight* ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back