7 inch skirting and mitre saws?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently bought a mitre saw and used it for the external corners on 5inch skirting (scribing the internal) I had no problems.

Needed to fit some 7inch skirting but the blade isnt long enough to cut the whole piece at 90 degrees and cuts even less at 45 degrees.

As my saw only tilts one way I cant even start at the top then flip the board overboard so it meets in the middle if you get what I mean!

So can anyone tell me what saw to buy that will do what i need?

I am confused what is a compound mitre? Is it the one that tilts back too?

What is a bevel cut?

Can I buy a circular saw? Do these tilt both ways?

Sorry about all the questions

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Stand the mitre box on a 2 inch piece of wood to start you off and then remove as you get down to halfway.

Ask in the woodwork forum for the rest :D

you want a compound tilt and slide mitre saw. The compound bit means that you can rotate the blade in relation to the base and also tilt the blade in relation to the base. The slide bit means that the head can be slid in and out to allow you to make longer cuts. i bought a cheap £100 compound slide mitre saw from B&Q for about £100 which apart from not having a brake for the blade does what i need it to do and cuts approx 10 inches.

Did you buy a cheap £100 saw for about £100 ? that was good.. Would have been a bargain if you could have got a £100 saw for £99

Sorry just found it funny... I will go back to my corner now :oops:

Sponsored Links
1andrea, do you still need a wide mitre saw. I may be able to help you out. if you do.
======================
email address removed, see forum rule 7

get a joiner in, if you dont know what the tool is how can you hope to use it safely and intelligently.
how can you people advocate the use of power tools to novices?
it beats me, if you are pro's you would surely know of H&S.

woodbutcher said:
get a joiner in, if you dont know what the tool is how can you hope to use it safely and intelligently.
how can you people advocate the use of power tools to novices?
it beats me, if you are pro's you would surely know of H&S.

Might as well tell B&Q and Doitalland all the other shops that sell power tools while you at it :)

If you have a jigsa you can cut a small piece of skirt and plcae it on the back of the skirt you need to cut, then pencil around the shape of the sample piece and you will see the skirt pattern on the back of the pice you neeed to cut. If you then carefully cut the shape out of that piece it will be a perfect fit to the one it buts up against. I know it sounds kinda complicated but its quite simple and it works better than mitred edges because not all walls are 90 degrees

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back