hand mitre saw or circular saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have no woodworking experience but i want to do mitre cuts for skirting boards.

Should I buy a mitre saw such as are available in B& Q or should I use a circular saw set at 45 % ?

Does anybody use these hand mitre saws anymore ?

Sponsored Links
do not use a circular saw its the wrong tool

you either use a powered or handraulic mitre saw :D ;)

Personally I find a decent hand saw and mitre square best, and remember internal corners must be scribed.

Depending upon the depth of your skirting, a mitre saw is best.
Or as suggested , you could make up a mitre box and use a hand saw.

Sponsored Links
i have a dewalt cross cut mitre saw (cost a bloody fortune), but in answer to your question i'd say "coping saw". As daft as it seems, it's a technique which gives you a much better finish. You only need a corner to be 89 degs, and a mitred corner looks rubbish. Try coping.... it works really well!

http://www.wikihow.com/Cut-a-Coped-Joint-in-Wood-Trim

imamartian";p="1710213 said:
i have a dewalt cross cut mitre saw (cost a bloody fortune), but in answer to your question i'd say "coping saw". As daft as it seems, it's a technique which gives you a much better finish. You only need a corner to be 89 degs, and a mitred corner looks rubbish. Try coping.... it works really well!

That coping saw joint (scribe) is what you always do on internal corners...you dont mitre internal corners..
You cant do them on external corners, you have to mitre the joints.

John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back