First fix roof framing, which saw?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Up until now I've been using a dewalt chop saw that has 50/60 degree bevel/mitre so there's nothing it can't do in terms of making an accurate compound cut.

It's pretty back breaking though - having to move every rafter/joist to position, flipping around, cutting again etc. This autumn I'm doing a roof with two valleys and I'm wondering if I should get a battery circular saw instead so that I just run around the stack of wood putting the cuts on either end wherever the merchants dumped them. Is it realistic given the plunge depth needed at a 45 degree bevel?

Which model saw do you guys use? Do you use a simple circular saw for the easy straight cuts then something more fancy for the more demanding valley/rafters?

Sponsored Links
Back breaking? You just want a new saw don't you. :rolleyes:

It will need to be a big, heavy, awkward mofo to do those cuts. Watch that old back.

Couple of Jack saws for a tenner.

Back breaking?
Yes. The rafters are manoeuvred at waist height. You've obviously not had to cut a roof Woods. A decent size one is back breaking and knackering to cut.

Which model saw do you guys use?
I use a big DeWalt (mounted on a fold-away ally bench) and a corded Makita. Neither are particularly wieldy but both have ample power.

A decent size one is back breaking and knackering to cut.
What? It's a plank of wood, and you just run the saw across it. :confused:

Wait until the OP starts laying the patio slabs, then he'll know what back breaking is.

Sponsored Links
What? It's a plank of wood, and you just run the saw across it
Ahh, you deffo have never cut a roof.(y)

Wait until the OP starts laying the patio slabs, then he'll know what back breaking is.
I find it mush easier laying slabs than cutting rafters and I do loads of both.

As I said, its the height of the workpiece. The tiring bit (on your trunk muscles) is the constant shifting/positioning when lining up the blade with the lines. Each rafter can involve quite a few cuts too. The length of the timbers (swinging and switching) has a knackering effect, even though they weigh less than a more compact but heavier object.

constant shifting/positioning when lining up the blade with the lines. Each rafter can involve quite a few cuts too. The length of the timbers (swinging and switching) has a knackering effect,

Yes it's this in essence. I'm starting to think I should be moving the saw rather than moving the piece. You seem to do a bit of both. The next roof is made of 6M length 175x50s and there a good 50 of them so I'll buy a new saw then chuck it back on ebay afterwards if its worth doing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back