70mm Cavity between window and brick. Is this OK?

I'm assuming they are registered competent persons from a building control sign off point of view or is this something you are meant to do?

It doesn't matter who you reported your requirements to, they've formed part of your contract giving you the option should you choose, to reject the work.

In your shoes I'd reject it. The fact they are having to find some non-standard finishing materials should be enough to make you think they got it wrong.

The question I'd put to those saying it is all fine, is this: Would it be better if the windows were another 2-5cm bigger each side?

1/ A building inspector isn't concerned how a window was measured or how it's finished off, all that matters is that it meets regs, you can self cert that yourself if your a registered person!

2/ Are there any witnesses as to what was said between the customer and salesman, the customer can claim anything, if the customer made their requirements known to the surveyor I dare say the customer would of got a wider window, the salesman will argue that any such requirement was ever made, your word against his! I could claim a car salesman said I could have free servicing for life when in fact we didn't even discuss it, are you saying I'd win if I took it court?

3/ What are these non standard finishing materials you speak of?

4/ What difference would it make to the performance of the window if they were wider.....none!

Sponsored Links
I'm with Crank on this one.

No problems with what they have done. I think several of the people commenting here haven't read your post and think they are leaving the windows like that. They had only gone out to get more trim to finish off!

Yes the windows could have been made a little bigger. But by the time you have 6mm of trim either side externally fitted straight to whichever brick is sticking out the most they probably could only have gone another 20-30mm in width and height. (hard to tell from the angle of the pics).

Do you have pictures of the downstairs window inside and out to compare?
It looks like they have left the same margins as the window to the left of the bay.

Measuring a bay can be a little tricky depending on how the inside was finished before. Unfortunately most customers don't like it if you cut the windows out to get perfect measurements and then say ok we will be back in 2-4 weeks once the windows are made. Surveying is probably the most skilled part of window fitting.

I would have liked to see more foam around them but there are no regs on this (most company's wont even bother with foam). Personally I would completely fill those gaps but I would build it up in stages and give it a chance to expand.

Its all in the finishing! Hopefully they have finished off now and you can show us some pics but so far its looking ok.

The Evolve detail also has an 20 chamfered detail around the frame.
If any brickwork/stone mullions are not plumb you'll end up with this detail behind the brick/stonework leaving an awkward finish.

Unless you've requested for a certain finish or for the windows to be measured a specific way, let them finish off, once trimmed, sealed etc they'll be fine

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back