70mm stud

Hi John, What would be the best compliant way of doing this??
I really don't know what would be best (or even 'usual' in this situation) - all I can say is that the solutions being discussed (even if compliant) do not sound at all 'nice' to me. I've never had to deal with walls with metal inside them, and that's why I would seek the assistance of someone who did have experience of such situations if I ever had such a need - and that's even in my own domestic situation. Add that to all the legal, insurance, lease etc. issues in a commercial property and I wouldn't personally touch it with a bargepole!

However, all any of us can do is offer our person opinions - only you can decide how you want to play it.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
rustyh";p="3383852 said:
Fair enough, but, as I also asked, how are you proposing to connect SWA to the sockets?

Would this need to be in to metal back boxes with earth glands? If so, I would have to see if I can batten between the studs and attached the back boxes to the batten. Otherwise I could gland to a dry wall box?

Why do you want to run this in SWA when there is no need?

Just do it properly with T+E in safe zones and RCD protection and grommets, then test it, certify it, notify it etc etc.

You seem to be making something straightforward into something of a complicated lash-up.

Or better still, get an electrician to do it for you.

From your earlier topics, I'm assuming this is in the unit that you own?

Why do you want to run this in SWA when there is no need? ... Just do it properly with T+E in safe zones and RCD protection and grommets, then test it, certify it, notify it etc etc. ... You seem to be making something straightforward into something of a complicated lash-up. ... Or better still, get an electrician to do it for you.
Quite so.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Rf out of interest do you mean the proper "Kopex" the black thick tough stuff, or just any of the "contracters packs" thin plasticky stuff that the wholesalers stock

T&E in kopex would be my preferred method.
As a matter of interest, is that just because you are 'cautious', or is it because you don't trust cables within a stud wall to be/remain in safe zones?

As has been discussed, as far as the regs are concerned, it would seem that the presence of metallic parts within a wall actually makes little difference. AFAICS, whether such metallic parts are present or not, T+E is acceptable if it is RCD protected and (if <50mm deep) is in safe zones.

Kind Regards, John

I mean the plastic coated steel flexible conduit.

It's probably me being over cautious but that's what I was taught as an apprentice, and I know there will never be a problem with this method.

Grommets in the studs with T&E would probably be ok but it just doesn't quite feel right for me.

Kopex on its own is not suitable for use as a CPC so can not be used to run cables outside of the safe zones prescribed in BS7671.

I mean the plastic coated steel flexible conduit. It's probably me being over cautious but that's what I was taught as an apprentice, and I know there will never be a problem with this method. [Grommets in the studs with T&E would probably be ok but it just doesn't quite feel right for me.
Fair enough.
Kopex on its own is not suitable for use as a CPC so can not be used to run cables outside of the safe zones prescribed in BS7671.
What makes it unsuitable for use as a CPC? - is electrical continuity not guaranteed, or are you saying that the CSA would be insufficient ... or what?

Kind Regards, John

What makes it unsuitable for use as a CPC - is electrical continuity not guaranteed, or .... ?
543.2.3. Because of the former, I have always assumed.
Ah, I'd forgotten that reg, which is fairly explicit. Thanks.

Of course, as has been said (by myself and others), this is (reg-wise) moot if the cable is RCD protected and run in safe zones, since (even with metal studs) there is then no requirement for any earthed protection for the cable.

Kind Regards, John

Rusty

Have you taken any notice of the posts adivising you to bring in a professional electrician for this job?

Yes I have taken in all the posts, and am looking at getting someone in, either to check the work I do or to do the work entirely

I was thinking of asking a relative whom qaulified this month, but as I understand it you need to have 2 years experience aswell as needing still needing an NIC EIC to sign off as well.

So I have not continued with the work while I look at professional costs etc. The prob is, I can finish put the plasterboard on with out running the two length of cable through the stud, which hold up anyting else I need to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back