70v between earth and water pipes !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
disconnected an immersion heater timer from a FCU when connecting the earth back into immersion heater terminals got a small spark . disconnected and tested earth from FCU to pipes and have 70v ! The supply is a PME any ideas before I start opening up circuits and testing ?

Sponsored Links
The first thing I would do is connect up your multimeter, turn off all circuits and then turn them back on one at a time until the voltage comes back.

Also use a test lamp between earth in FCU and the tank with the meter connected.

If the voltage reduces to near zero ( less than 1 volt ) then the 70volts is stray capacitively induced and indicates there is likely to be a missing bond to water pipes or a break in the earth between FCU and the CU.

The test lamp is a 230 volt filament bulb in a holder with leads.

Sponsored Links
Two options. Your bonding is no good or part of the water pipe is in plastic. What ever the reason, I would install supplementary bonding as well and start chasing the fault. 70 volt on a water pipe is definitely a no no.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back