710mm wide doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been trying to find some new solidwood paneled doors, only problem i have is 2 of the doors need to be 710mm. I've seen wickes selling the ones I want but they are in 686mm or 762mm. Can I trim the 762 down or will it have problems? Wickes suggest not to trim more than 12mm. I'm on very tight budget.

thanks

Si

Sponsored Links
It depends if it is actually solid wood, or wood veneered.

A lot of the cheaper wicks doors are veneered. Doors are not my speciality, but I suspect a lot of these have a frame, then a chipboard/Laminate or dense core material inside the frame and then a veneer over that.

If it has such a construction, then cutting the door in it's width is cutting into the frame, it may be the core material isn't strong enough to support hinges, and so you can only cut away a bit of the frame, this seems likely in budget doors.

If it is actually solid wood planks, then I would view the 12mm as a guideline rather than a rule, you just need to look at the jointing methods (so you don't cut into a joint) and anywhere else you will need to cut into it (door handles) to see how reducing it may affect the door.

Hollow doors are easier, you can cut them over the recommendations, and then glue in extra battens to replace the ones you cut off.

Are you painting or staining? I would suggest buying the 686 and gluing a small piece to the hinge side to make it up to 710. If the retailer is advising you not to plane off more than 12mm, that suggests they are a wood-chip core, the may feel solid but once you hit that wood-chip you'll probably have a couple of months before the hinge screws come out.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back