8 core alarm cable join advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just after a little advice.

I am fitting some pre-wired sealed flush contacts into a window frame and as the wire is only 1m long I need to make a join to the main cable. The join will be inaccessible once the plastering etc has been completed.
Am I correct that soldering and heat shrinking is the best option?
And if so would I solder and then heat shrink every wire separately or solder in a staggered formation and just heat shrink all together? :confused:

Also I am considering taking the 1m tail to a location behind where the curtains will be and joining in a blanked back box to enable access in the future - Any thoughts appreciated?

Mark.

Sponsored Links
It's always better to keep the joint accessible, contacts can fail and you want the ability to swap them out if they fail. Can you fit a tampered alarm junction box in a hidden position?

Hi,

Thanks for reply.
If the contact fails then due to the lack of any ducting I would not be able the replacement contacts cable to the junction box, hence it would have to connect to the existing contacts cable if that makes sense.
However I am running a spare cable to the contacts location which will terminate in the loft or in the control panel itself so I could use this if the contact fails.

In order of preference the currents contacts join can be either:-
A. Within the window frame itself, which could then be pulled out in the future to allow access.
B. In a back box behind the curtain with a blanking plate on, not sure if it needs to be tamper proof as if anyone got there the alarm would have already been triggered and the contact also has EOL resistors in place.
C. Buried in plaster behind the curtain location so future access would be a smallish redecoration project with imperfections hidden.

What contact are you fitting ? Are they 20mm standard or slim Jim’s About 7/8 mm ? If they are they are the 20mm type can’t you drill the hole deeper and join behind the contact ?

Sponsored Links
What contact are you fitting ? Are they 20mm standard or slim Jim’s About 7/8 mm ? If they are they are the 20mm type can’t you drill the hole deeper and join behind the contact ?

They are Elmdene 20mm's and I am fitting into a UPVC frame that is reinforced with metal so unfortunately I can't. I can however join and then push the cable into the frame void which at the moment is what I am thinking of doing.

Do you still have a warranty on the frames? It will almost certainly be void if you drill a 20mm (or any other) hole in it.

Do you still have a warranty on the frames? It will almost certainly be void if you drill a 20mm (or any other) hole in it.
It's my own house and not really too concerned about the warranty as I fitted them myself and any issues I will rectify myself but to be honest I cannot see the holes having any effect on the windows performance in any way but thanks for the thought.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back