8 week for screed to dry before SLC? Is this true?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a sloping kitchen floor and i have used screed to level the floor. The deepest part of the screed is 7.5cm deep.

Mapei technical said that i have to wait 8 weeks before i can apply mapei 3240 self levelling compound. Is this really true?

I'm half way through a kitchen project and my house is freezing as i had to chop the bottom of the door off to get the floor levelled. If it is true than i will obviously wait out.

just wondering what builders usually do? What is the issue with laying SLC on top of the screed before 8 weeks?

Sponsored Links
yes it is true -screed dries at the rate of 1mm a day, or half that if its thick

builders usually fudge it "oh its been down 3 1/2 weeks it looks dry, lets get the tiling done"

I used to use Mapei top cem -dry in 24 hours

you may not have to wait 8 weeks in a heated property, but just accept it will continue to dry out and there is a small risk of that damp coming through the SLC and delaminating it.

yes it is true -screed dries at the rate of 1mm a day, or half that if its thick

builders usually fudge it "oh its been down 3 1/2 weeks it looks dry, lets get the tiling done"

I used to use Mapei top cem -dry in 24 hours

you may not have to wait 8 weeks in a heated property, but just accept it will continue to dry out and there is a small risk of that damp coming through the SLC and delaminating it.

cheers. Yes i'll wait. is it worth getting a dehumidifier on in the room? It's been drying or 3 weeks now, and there has been no radiator in the room as i've gutted the whole lot

Sponsored Links
I'm confused why if you have screeded the floor do you need to use self leveller?
Are you tiling the floor?

The drying rate is based on new build, unheated areas with some ventilation and other construction moisture already in the structure. In a dry heated home where temperature and ventilation can be controlled, the time can be drastically reduced.

Yes a dehumidifier can help but the more industrial types are better than a £15 jobbie for Argos. But you are better off with some heat, a fan and an open window and closed doors and this will dry it off sufficient for coating within one-two weeks.

I'm confused why if you have screeded the floor do you need to use self leveller?
Are you tiling the floor?

2 reasons

1. I am a diyer hence not a perfectly level finish
2. I couldn't screed any less depth of 25mm so need to self level that and the self level the lot

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back