80cm2 block paving - sub base recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am building a deck platform in our back garden about 25cm above the ground level, in the middle I will leave an open section of around 1m2. In that I want to lay some block paving roughly flush to deck level.

The purpose of the block paved section is to be able to use a fire bowl safely and not have it sat on wooden deck boards.

The cut out where no joists / deck boards will run is approx 1m2, I plan to use 200x100 sleepers to provide full edges, which will leave a roughly 80cm2 hole in the middle of the deck.

I want to build up the level and then install block paving, the hole depth is about 25cm - so slightly taller than the sleepers.

So I wanted to get some recommendations on what to set the sleepers on to get to the right level - dry mix sand/cement? Then what would be the best sub base for the block paving 80cm2? I don't want to get a whacker plate in, would be tricky in the middle of a deck to operate, so how about mixing up concrete and using it to fill the void, then use 50mm sand and then block paving on top.

It won't really see any traffic, just a fire bowl on top.

Thanks for any thoughts or advice on the best way to do this.

FYI the inspirations, just planning to use block paving as think it looks best.

J1f2yc38.jpg

P8NwXzYN.jpg

Sponsored Links
Change of plans, wife says she wants it filled with gravel like this pic not block pavers, so I guess that solves that anyway.

Composite-Decking-Luna-DesignBoard-1000x667.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back