Replacing Decking With Paving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys I am really sorry if I sound pathetic but I need someone's help and the information on the net is so conflicting.

I am taking my decking up and replacing it with paving flags (just standard grey 450x450). I need to having the flags raised approx 1 foot to stay in line with the conservatory door, my issue is:

I have the wooden frame from the decking, can I use this as retaining wall and what do I fill the space between the original ground and the raised level, is it sand to level, hardcore, concrete then paving......sand to level, concrete, hardcore then paving I just don't know what to use to raise the base. I've done paving before but never had to raise it.

Any help would be really appreciated, and I will answer any questions which will help me come to a conclusion.

Thanks
Dan

Sponsored Links
Firstly it sounds like this will breach your dpc which is acceptable with decking as it doesn;t hold water but not with paving. Finished Paving surface should be 150mm below dpc level.

Timber is not really suitable for your retaining edge kerbs or a low wall would be better.

As for the filling you have two choices, either fill it in 50-100mm layers of MOT Type 1 and whacker it thoroughly every layer or fill it with rubble hardcore etc and then finish it with 100mm of concrete. Sand should never be used to fill and bring up levels

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back