8mm Climaflex on interior heating pipes under celotex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am insulating my timber suspended floor, and so need to insulate the central heating pipe runs underneath it.

I have loads of 8mm (x15mm) climaflex type insulation, but my question is, is that adequate, or do I need something thicker?

The pipe runs are towards the middle of the house, but obviously the subfloor is ventilated. We use the frost setting on our roomstat, but obviously there is no sensor for the subfloor temp! (Boiler has frost protection built in, but it's a long way from the pipe runs). We live in north london, so hard frosts are very unusual, but it's suburban, so it does freeze...

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
The official line fron Building Control is that the insulation must be as thick as the pipe (i.e 15mm minimum wall thickness)

Unofficially? Have they frozen during the last 3 severe winters? Would 8mm insulation be better than nothing.... YES.

So go for the 8mm insulation if you wish, but £30 - £50 spent on the right stuff MAY pay dividends during the next winter; or the one after that... But you'll never know you did the right thing unless you do the wrong thing!!!

One more thing, Building Control may be lots of things, but they generally don't insist on a course of action unless it's PRACTICAL. Take RCDs on fuseboards, unheard of 25 years ago, and very expensive. Now compulsory and they cost about a tenner (OK, so that was the IEE, but you take my meaning) Fuel prices are only going one way, so put the money into heating into your room, not under the floor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back