9.5Kw shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

The current required from a 9.5Kw shower is approx 41A. i dont have any regs books available to me at the moment. I was just wondering what diversity is applied to fixed equipment?

Currently the shower has a 6mm cable feeding it and it has melted and is spured off a ring main how safe is that...

I need to run a new cable from the shower to consumer unit however just need some advice on isolation and size of fuse/cable etc.....

The fuseboard is an old cartridge fuseboard with no spare ways, i was tempted to get hold of a 63A breaker for the cartridge fuseboard and install a new 4way ccu and put the ring mains in the new board and the new shower cct im going to install protected by a 63A RCD. As the house does not have an RCD.

The customer is not prepared to pay X amount for a new CCU and testing and inspection on all circuits.

Would like some advice on isolation required for showers and if i should use a 10mm cable or 6mm..??? the shower is at the most of 10m away from the ccu. Also would it be ok if i go ahead and put a new consumer unit in to run the ring mains and shower circuit and the way i have suggested is ok? Please by all means correct me if i am wrong.

Have not come across this scenario before,

regards,

carlos

Sponsored Links
Carloss said:
The current required from a 9.5Kw shower is approx 41A. i dont have any regs books available to me at the moment. I was just wondering what diversity is applied to fixed equipment?
None, for electric showers.

Currently the shower has a 6mm cable feeding it and it has melted and is spured off a ring main how safe is that...
Not very.

I need to run a new cable from the shower to consumer unit however just need some advice on isolation and size of fuse/cable etc.....
That's very basic stuff - how can you be working as an electrician and need to ask questions like that on a DIY forum?

The fuseboard is an old cartridge fuseboard with no spare ways, i was tempted to get hold of a 63A breaker for the cartridge fuseboard and install a new 4way ccu and put the ring mains in the new board and the new shower cct im going to install protected by a 63A RCD. As the house does not have an RCD.
1) You may not be able to get one.
2) The overall rating of the board may not be enough to support a load like that.

The customer is not prepared to pay X amount for a new CCU and testing and inspection on all circuits.
Then don't make him.

Henley in a mini-CU with MCB & RCD and leave the rest of the stuff alone (apart from earthing and bonding as required)

Would like some advice on isolation required for showers and if i should use a 10mm cable or 6mm..???
FFS.

Walk away

If the customer doesn't want job done right then leave it.

10mm all the way, and also the hassle of uprgrading the bonding in the bathroom (or installing some as it will probably be missing)

It will be easier and probably cheaper to install a new split load consumer unit. (I usually give a discount if the customer gets both jobs done at the same time)

Thanks for replys,

BAS i can tell your not impressed... like i say i would do my own re-search however i have no books available to me at present thats why i am asking these questions. Regarding the cable size that was down to the fact i didn't know about the diversity.

As baldelectrician said 'walk away'.... makes it a tad hard when its your girlfriends family.... grrrr f***** people always wanting things done on the cheap.

thanks for help, by the way,,, FFS???/ sorry im not Mr current affairs...

carlos

Sponsored Links
Hi Carloss

Didn't you finish your courses, then?

Heard from Albert?

Carloss said:
As baldelectrician said 'walk away'.... makes it a tad hard when its your girlfriends family....
Does this mean you find it easy to compromise the safety of people you know, but not of people you don't?

Carloss said:
thanks for help, by the way,,, FFS???/ sorry im not Mr current affairs...
For F***'s Sake.

Carloss said:
i dont have any regs books available to me at the moment...
FFS. I think I know what you're trying to say, but could you tell us anyway? After all, you appear to have Internet access...

Carloss said:
ban-all-sheds said:
That's very basic stuff - how can you be working as an electrician and need to ask questions like that on a DIY forum?
That's because he's working as one, not actually being one.

Hello, just a few things......

I would not put people in danger.... just get ****ed off when close friends/family expect things done the easy way and never understand whats actually got to be done.......

I am not at home..... like i carry all my books around to familys house....... Thats why i posted on here; maybe a few of you 'nice' chaps could help me out since i am not at home.. maybe not?

As for your comment softus i have only been in the industry for 9months or so..... i take it your the dogs ****** and knew everything within 1 year.... if this is true you have 1 massive ego.

Hello SecureSpark... i'm sorry i have not seen Albert since i took the C&G 2360 part 2 exam.... Yes... i did complete the courses... in fact i'm taking the C&G 2391 testing and inspection in 3weeks or so.

I guess the majority of you think i'm not competent enough and just flame me in everyway. I do not class myself in anyway as am amazing electrician...... at the end of the day i'm a trainee and just in need of some advice.

carlos

you should know that you cant apply diversity to a shower. its either using power or it isnt. there is no in between.

Carloss said:
I would not put people in danger.... just get **** off when close friends/family expect things done the easy way and never understand whats actually got to be done.......
A fair point, and well made.

Carloss said:
As for your comment softus i have only been in the industry for 9months or so..... i take it your the dogs **** and knew everything within 1 year.... if this is true you have 1 massive ego.
No, I'm not the dog's <four letter word>, I don't know everything, and what I know took more than a year to learn. Does this mean that I have a small ego?

Carloss said:
I guess the majority of you think i'm not competent enough and just flame me in everyway. I do not class myself in anyway as am amazing electrician...... at the end of the day i'm a trainee and just in need of some advice.
If I concluded unreasonably that you were a practising electrician, then I apologise.

Carloss said:
at the end of the day i'm a trainee and just in need of some advice.
My advice is to postpone having customers until you are no longer a trainee...

Carloss said:
The current required from a 9.5Kw shower is approx 41A.

how can 9.5KW be spurred off a ring protected by 30/32 amp fuse/breaker ? ... surely it cant?

Why not? Check the time/current curves of protective devices

At 40A a 30A BS 3036 rewirable or a BS EN 60898 B32 MCB will never operate....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back