9" brick wall English Bond. How ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to tie in new brickwork to 100mm wall. What would be the best way forward. I understand English bond is strongest,so will be adopting it.

Will wall starter kit be idea. The wall is 450mm(18')long and 9inch thick.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Not enough detail - how thick do you intend making the wall, and how high?

Is it a garden (boundary) wall or part of an extension?

(English bond is the strongest bond for compression under vertical load, but that will never be an issue in domestic work as the loads are relatively low).

Thanks. The wall is 215mm thick and will form side wall of a room. The height is 2.5 metre tall

Sponsored Links
No offence Tony. Why insist on a cavity wall when solid can be insulated as well and probably lot more stronger,and easier to build.

Am i wrong in saying that cavity is a stretcher bond of 2 skins only held by a steel ties,whereas solid means more stronger.Surely cavity achieves more U value,but solid can be insulated as well as good.

If I pebbledash the wall,wont it give a suitable damp proof remedy. The 1930's houses still standing with no cavity and only pebbledashing as a protection against the english weather.
Again correct me as I am just a diyer.

In practice you are perfectly correct: a well-built and rendered 215 solid wall could well keep the rain out as long as it is not too exposed. You can of course then insulate internally.

But I would think twice about doing it in english bond with class As. For one thing, you will have too many headers, which will provide an easier passage for water penetration. Secondly, because the bricks are almost impervious, the water will tend to find its way in by cracks in the mortar joints, rather than being temporarily held in the bricks themselves.

But if you are doing this under building regs, you will come up against the building inspector, who will direct you to Approved Document C. The guidance in this document suggests that only a 325 thick (1 1/2 brick) rendered brick wall will suffice. So suggest think carefully if you go down the official route.

Great informative post. Rather than using class A will be using old bricks removed from internal wall. They have PHOSPRES printed on some of them.

So speaking generally what would be the strongest wall bond for a 2.5 metre tall wall which is only 215mm wide in bricks. Will concrete blocks 7N laid flat be better option both for ease and protection from weather if left unrendered.

Also with due respect none of the older houses were build with 1-1/2 bricks but 1 brick. They are still standing. Of course regs have changed with times but is there any truth in the saying "old is gold".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back