Adding a second skin (non-cavity) to a single-skin brick wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
TL;DR
What's best-practice for adding a second-skin of brick to a single-skin wall?

I don't want to create a cavity wall but rather wish to reinforce the existing single skin which is in a very poor state.

I was originally toying with using some Helifix StarTies (or similar... there seem to be a few brands) and joining one end of the wall using SabreFix Wall Starter Kit to the English-bond section of wall where the single-skin makes a butt-joint (in red).

However, could I in-place of the StarTies use more of the SabreFixs in the positions in blue?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HZxqvvU9o11ZFWfN8

The advantage of this is that I'd imagine this would provide better reinforcement at the cost (possibly) of the SabreFix making the vertical mortar bond between the two leaves thicker than strictly necessary. It also avoids with having to deal with the problem of staggering the leaves vertically such that the StarTies require... not sure how I'd do that best... splitting bricks laterally doesn't sound that easy

Thoughts?

(the wall is still plumb - just lens distortion)
HZxqvvU9o11ZFWfN8

Background
We have a garage (detached from our house, but semi-detached from next-door's matching garage) that has a damp problem. The damp was caused by the previous owners building a patio banked against one flank such that the patio level was 50cm above the slab/dpc. I have now excavated back below DPC and intend to implement a Dry Area scheme as illustrated here (the leftmost side of the picture under the first-occurrence of the word 'litter') i.e. such that there's a channel's edge is inline with the green-line.

Garage construction
1920's English-bond London brick, with lime mortar (probably... it's certainly relatively soft and I understand Portland cement-based mortar didn't come in until the very tail-end of the decade). Concrete slab and hot-poured bitumen DPC. Whatever the original render was, the owners recently used a cementious render on the walls.
The roof is a rather OTT steeply pitched tiled affair, and it originally had rafters, lathe/plaster ceiling which have recently been removed - the spread of the roof is (I hope!) largely borne by the hips themselves.

The gotcha is that the front of the garage originally had an integral adjoining brick shed extending about 1/3 of the way the length of the garage that was demolished leaving only a single-skin wall (i.e. originally the shed would have provided lateral stability) Where this has been done the wall is only single-skin, and it's in a sorry state:
Where the wall thickness steps-down there is a large vertical crack though which daylight can just be seen now that I've removed the render. The face of the brickwork, many of the bricks and the mortar itself looks pretty dreadful on the outside particularly, but also on the inside where moisture has soaked fully half-way up the wall (lateral penetration and trapped behind cracked cementious render.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/agUsvbr2qFsXWt4i9

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I don't understand the problem that you wish to solve.

Do you mean it's a damp wall?

Do you mean it's suffered subsidence or other movement?

Hanging extra bricks off a damaged wall is not a solution to a problem that I know.

p.s.
you can put photos into your post using Copy and Paste.

If the wall is in a poor state, then trying to tie into it is a waste of time, and won't mean the wall is twice as strong.

What's best-practice for adding a second-skin of brick to a single-skin wall?

it would be helpful to ascertain the cause of the cracking -if its due to foundation movement then a 2nd skin is not the solution

Im not sure a 2nd skin is a solution -I would think the best thing is to re build the wall in blockwork.

is there actually room on the foundation for another skin?

Sponsored Links
Firstly thank you very much to everyone who's replied on such a lovely sunny day! Much appreciated!

I don't understand the problem that you wish to solve.
Do you mean it's a damp wall?
It is damp, but the dampness doesn't have anything to do with why I'm asking about a second leaf. For background - to cure the damp I needed to do several things:
1. Lower the ground to below DPC and create the Dry Area scheme noted.
2. Remove the cementious render (it was damp when I removed the last night despite it having been warm and dry for the best part of 4 weeks.)
3. Re-render in lime/ lime-wash.

Do you mean it's suffered subsidence or other movement?
The vertical crack is where they've removed the supporting brick shed; it presumably moved slightly at that point, but it's been like this for at least 4 years and it hasn't moved a mm at the top since I moved-in; I measured it with a laser tape when I moved-in.

Hanging extra bricks off a damaged wall is not a solution to a problem that I know.
What I'm proposing is to run a new leaf of bricks, against the existing (poor condition leaf) ensuring they're very well tied together. Certainly not as good as a properly brick bonded wall, but I'm not clear why this scheme wouldn't result in a wall very much stronger than the single-leaf as it stands. Indeed, a visiting neighbour (since now departed) who was a practising structural engineer at the time also sucked-his-teeth at present arrangement and suggested the second leaf.

you can put photos into your post using Copy and Paste.
Thanks! I was wrestling with that...

If the wall is in a poor state, then trying to tie into it is a waste of time, and won't mean the wall is twice as strong.
I don't think it's in a /dreadful/ state, though a few spots are concerning. Really I'm tying the poor wall to the new good wall, it will also substantially reinforce the joint at front corner. Once I've done this I will also stabilise the crack from the inside with some horizontal Hellibars, but there's no-way I can do that /first/ as it's a single-skin and raking out the mortar wouldn't end well...

Im not sure a 2nd skin is a solution -I would think the best thing is to re build the wall in blockwork.
Yes, certainly the best solution (which I've considered) but much less easy that it sounds given the way the wall-plates, the beam across the top of the garage and the the stiching-in of the corner to the flank interact. It's an usual construction as the wall plate actually hangs slightly below the top of the wall on brackets, and then attach to the lintel. Recall the lintel and wall plates are stopping the (very heavy) roof spreading so I really didn't want to touch that.

The wall is still plumb and not bulging, but I'd just feel more comfortable with a second leaf, perfect being the enemy of the good etc.

is there actually room on the foundation for another skin?
Yes - the concrete slab went all under the now-removed brick-shed, so there's a very solid foundation.

Hi Samla, did you get an answer for this or what did you decide to do in the end? I'm in a similar position. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back