New door frame in old house?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My House is circa 1890, English bond solid wall construction and i'm looking to install a new frame and door (wood not PVC). Can i ask, what should i expect to find?
Does the existing frame sit back and therefore the headers on the door reveal are only half brick? Or does the frame sit within the opening of the brickwork?
If it is sat back within the reveal is it quite a bit or minimal?
Another piece of info. My front door leads straight onto the stairs, stairs run adjacent to next doors 9inch party wall and my living room 100mm wall. The actual front door frame has architrave on both sides but has been ripped down so there is little room from door frame to finished plaster.
Hands up and honest moment. I measured brickwork to brickwork so the frame is built to slot within the opening as they are in today's practice, but this house wasn't built with today's practices!!!!!

:oops:

Hope someone can shed some light on this.

I guess worse comes to the worse then i'll have to pack it out with something more substantial than standard plastic spacers.

Any advice or expertise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
In older houses with 9" solid walls, the frame was usually set back in the thickness of the wall and partly covered by the facing brickwork.

Other than that, can't quite see what your problem is, unless I'm missing something.

Thanks tony, as you say no real problem i guess just like to be prepared really. I have uploaded some images, it would appear the same amount of frame is exposed externally as internally, so if it is set back am i gonna have to fight it out and knock the finished plaster and render off?

Try not to disturb the external brickwork as it will be very difficult to restore the appearance. It is often easier to remove a frame if you cut the old one up and take it out in pieces.

What's wrong with the old one that makes you want to remove it?

Sponsored Links
Just thought i'd put some final photo's up. Break in the weather last week allowed me to get the job done. Have since trimmed the front up but haven't uploaded photos yet. Thanks for all your advice.
GALLERY][img]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back