90cm Tall kitchen wall units onto C Metal Shape Stud

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There

I was wondering if someone would be so kind to confirm my approach to fixing my extra tall kitchen wall units (Cooke and Lewis from B&Q) onto C Shaped Metal Stud work.

I have removed 12inches of plasterboard from the top of where the new wall units will hand (See pic) Ignore the socket (That will sit above the unit!)

I have then attached a baton (32mm x 19mm x 15") to the inside of the C Metal stud using a couple of drywall screws (Only 19 mm because the screws from the plasterboard on the other side of wall will get in the way of anything deeper) (See pic)

I have then attached 12mm ply onto the front and screwed with 1 1/2" screws from the ply through the metal stud and into the wooden baton. (See Pic)

Could someone please tell me if this will be enough to hold the wall units, or do I need something else?

Any advice would be great

Many thanks

Steve

Sponsored Links
Mounting into plasterboard with a void behind it - unless you go into the battens - is commonly a job for spring toggles, hollow wall anchors or similar. When I moved in I found the brackets for the 6', double banked radiators were attached to the 12mm plasterboard wall with spring toggles. I wasn't impressed, but they had been there for years with no problems and I didnt find out until I took the rads out to redecorate.

I think you might have gone a bit overkill with the ply :)
It sounds like the ply is secured, but you may find trouble as the screw from the cabinet into it only has 12mm of ply to grip into. Could be a job for spring toggles after all.

Hello, thanks for the reply

Was thinking the same kind of thing, have just found some hollow wall anchors that can take a depth of 34 mm, so might just put those through ply/stud and batten. Overkill maybe.. but better to be safe than sorry!!

Thanks

You have the right approach I think.

I wouldn't rely on plasterboard anchors, knowing what my partner would load the cupboards with!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back