925x825 corner base kitchen unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have run into a particular problem with my kitchen design.
The back wall is 2240 from tiles to tiles I reckon the tiles and adhesive take up at least 5mm. I'd like to fit 2 corner base units either side of a 600mm oven housing. Would it be possible to cut 100mm off each 925x925 corner base unit such that i could squeeze all 3 units in and then get a couple of 200mm doors to fit the reduced width of one side.
If so, what is the best way to go about it?
Thanks, Chris.

Sponsored Links
Yes, it's possible. Needs at least a circular saw with a fine tooth blade, a straight edge, a speed square, a pair of trestles and a pair of clamps to make the cuts. To reassemble the unit you'll ideally need a drill/countersink and something like 4.0 x 40mm screws (decent quality such as Reissers or Spax - don't cheap out on these!). You need to cut down the baseboard to the required length (saw/straight edge/clamps), then trim the front (top, horizontal) bearer and rear (vertical) bearer to length (saw/ speed square unless you have a mitre saw) and finally trim the back panel to length (saw/straight edge/ clamps again). Any holes for the feet at the trimmed end will need to be redrilled in the same position relative to the ends. The screws used to assemble the unit will not be seen once the units are installed.

Edit : The foregoing is assuming an L-shaped corner cupboard. A corner cupboard with an angled door (not common) would require a different approach

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,
The back wall is 2240 from tiles to tiles I reckon the tiles and adhesive take up at least 5mm. I'd like to fit 2 corner base units either side of a 600mm oven housing. Would it be possible to cut 100mm off each 925x925 corner base unit such that i could squeeze all 3 units in and then get a couple of 200mm doors to fit the reduced width of one side.
Thanks, Chris.
Might be easier to use two part corner unit.

Thanks for the detailed explanation J&K but I see you've given the thumbs up to Foxhole's suggestion of a 2 part corner unit. Am I right in thinking this would entail a 'blind' 800mm corner unit (with a 300 door) and a standard 200mm unit set at right angles? Would this not entail having a barrier between the 800mm and 200mm units?
Another issue could be door opening. I intend to set a built in oven next to the 200mm door and a freestanding washing machine next to the 300 door. The handle of the oven will sit proud and may foul the 200mm door opening and the washing machine itself will sit proud maybe causing a similar problem with the 300mm door.
I'm keen to have the space within the corner units as accessible as possible.

Sponsored Links
...but I see you've given the thumbs up to Foxhole's suggestion of a 2 part corner unit. Am I right in thinking this would entail a 'blind' 800mm corner unit (with a 300 door) and a standard 200mm unit set at right angles? Would this not entail having a barrier between the 800mm and 200mm units?
Yes, it would. Because @foxhole 's suggestion entails far less work and is a lot less risky it is possiblyy a better aproqch. The blind unit would need a standard L-section corner post to be installed and ideally (although not 100% essential) a blanking panel between the back of the corner post and the blind end of the cabinet. This could be 18mm MFC, or even just painted hardboard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,
Thanks, Chris.

I did this a few years ago on a B&Q kitchen.

Cutting down the internals wasn't difficult, but I abandoned the idea of recreating all the locking cams and just screwed it tight (you can't see it anyway. My main problem was sourcing the right door. I couldn't get a 200mm equivalent so I actually cut an extra 50mm off and used a 150mm pull-out drawer as a replacement

Regards

Tet

Thanks Tet. I seem to have the same problem with sourcing 200mm doors. Do they exist at all?

Thanks Tet. I seem to have the same problem with sourcing 200mm doors. Do they exist at all?

If you're kitchen supplier is one of the main ones, then I think the answer may be "no" and thinking about what you want to do - you'll lose 50mm from each end, which isn't negligible

Regards

Tet

Cutting down the internals wasn't difficult, but I abandoned the idea of recreating all the locking cams and just screwed it tight (you can't see it anyway).
Which is why I suggested that. It is not unknown for kitchen fitters or shop fitters to have to do this sort of butchery

My main problem was sourcing the right door. I couldn't get a 200mm equivalent so I actually cut an extra 50mm off and used a 150mm pull-out drawer as a replacement
The way to approach this is to choose a door from a range/manufacturer which includes made-to-measure option. In my own area, near to Greater Manchester, I have two manufacturers and two (trade) suppliers who offer this service on parts of their ranges - normally at something like the price of the next largest door up from the special size PLUS 50%. A bit steep, but not too bad if it is only a single door

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back