9m loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am planning to do a loft conversion dimensions are 9m gable to gable and 7m wall plate to wall plate.

I got a quote for just under 14k for telebeams.

Looks a good system. But it is costly. I am wondering if steel spanning gable to gable will be cost effective or if the size of the steels and complexity will outweigh the costs of the tele beam system.

Does anyone have a similar loft that they have converted and can share some solutions.

Simpson I loft hangers with wooden I beams from wall plate to wall plate but I cannot find any examples of projects done this way.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Typically two steel beams are slung from gable end to gable end beneath the existing purlins (assuming it has them photo's would help), then a structural timber stud wall is built up to the underside of your purlin/rafters. Then a new timber joist floor can be supported between the two steel beams.

What existing floor to ridge height do you have? As the floor will end up pretty deep and you need adequate insulation at roof level too. At 9m you'd be looking at 356 or 406 deep steel beams or thereabouts, each can be chopped up into 3 or 4 sections, each section winched up and then bolted (spliced) together once in the loft to form one beam. Presumably your span from steel to steel is going to be approximately 5m so your joists will be about 250mm if traditional joists or a bit less if you went with I-joists.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Typically two steel beams are slung from gable end to gable end beneath the existing purlins (assuming it has them photo's would help), then a structural timber stud wall is built up to the underside of your purlin/rafters. Then a new timber joist floor can be supported between the two steel beams.

What existing floor to ridge height do you have? As the floor will end up pretty deep and you need adequate insulation at roof level too. At 9m you'd be looking at 356 or 406 deep steel beams or thereabouts, each can be chopped up into 3 or 4 sections, each section winched up and then bolted (spliced) together once in the loft to form one beam. Presumably your span from steel to steel is going to be approximately 5m so your joists will be about 250mm if traditional joists or a bit less if you went with I-joists.
I have about 3m of head height. Just under from existing ceiling to ridge. Should have plenty of head height I hope!!

Yeah 5m sounds about right. With a 7m Spain wall plate to wall plate.

It’s a truss roof. House built 2003. Thermolite blocks on the gables too.

Did you end up doing this? I want to do exactly the same...

Wondering how much the beams cost to make roughly...?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back