A 1981mm door I can take ~20mm off..?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My house has a load of 6 panel doors upstairs that aren't my cup of tea and want to replace them with simple, flush ones. The problem is that all the existing doors are around ~1965mm high, so I'm looking for a flush, hollow 1981 x 762 x 35mm door that I can take 20mm off in height - but these don't seem to exist! With most I've seen online, it either doesn't say or it says you can only trim 10mm off.

Anyone know where I can find something suitable? Have spent a couple hours looking and found nothing!

Cheers

Pete

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That's the plan but I've not found any that will let me. They all say max 5mm from top, 5mm from bottom.

Sponsored Links
Ok, silly question time. When looking at the measurements listed for a door, are they the measurements of the door, or the measurements of the opening…?
Google is returning conflicting results…

I ask because I measured the height of my openings, and they're 1981mm which is a standard height for doors - though they are about 770mm wide, which isn't a standard width…

It's the size of the doors. You're talking in mm here, small increments, depending on the competency of the person that constructed the door frames, movement, paint layers etc you're going to get differences. Have you measured the width at both the top at the bottom? These aren't likely to be the same either.

762mm is the standard width for a door, so it probably means you'll have to take very little off the width of the door for it to fit.

Not sure what your woodworking skills (or tools are like, but if you took 20mm off of the bottom of the door, then there'd be about 5mm left in the door. If you chisel this out, and then plane the hardboard off of the wood you cut off. The hollow door just have cardboard inside them to provide support, so just rake that out, and glue the piece of wood back in to the bottom of the door, and then clamp it in place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back